rustic cedar spice rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Good Morning all you fellow sawdust makers!

My son is big into cooking, and said he wanted a spice rack that could free stand (he rents) but could someday be put on the wall (after he buys a home). He wanted the bottles to have quick access and wanted the bottles horizontal.

I decided to go with a rustic look. I had recently harvested an Eastern Aromatic Juniper and had plenty of 'rustic' in stock. I tried to leave as many live edges as possible on the piece.

The back is bookmatched, and I left the two little 'branch stubs' sticking out so that he could some day drill a hole on each side and use that to hang the rack on the wall.

The shelf cubes were made by cutting slots half-way through the boards, then fitting them together like the cardboard liner in a case of wine. I don't yet have a dado blade, so I did it one pass at a time, stacking the boards together and just making several kerf passes. I was pretty proud of my measuring, because when it came time to fit them all together, only one slot needed just a teeny amount of file work to fit. Each cubicle is about 2 1/4" square.

The entire piece is finished with glossy polyurathane to stand up to the rigors of a messy kitchen. The photo of the rack filled shows he is using it regularly!

Dave Peterson

spicecedar1.jpg

spicecedar2.jpg

T

toolferone

Neat looking piece. I am sure he gets lots of great comments on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS