Rust Preventer Suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlowes

New User
Nick
Just purchased a new Grizzly table saw. Any recommendations on the best product to use to prevent rust or corrosion on it. I've checked Grizzly's website and they do have one. Anything better out there?

Thanks, Nick

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For me, paste wax (Johnson's - the yellow can) has been very effective. But, my shop is in a climate controlled basement, so that may not be sufficient. I've also used Boeshield T-9. It's a little more expensive, but it works very well. There are some other commercial products available too, like Topsaver. You can get this at the woodworking stores and/ or online.
I suggest you start with paste wax and see how that holds up. Any light surface rust can be easily removed with some steel wool.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
I've switched from Johnsons to Boeshield's T-9. I actually got a kit of Boeshield products...the T-9, Rust Remover, and bit/blade cleaner. I've been very satisfied with all 3.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I highly recommend covering the surfaces you wax or T-9 (my preference) with bath towels when not in use. No idea how or why but it really works! My shop looks like a shower at gym with bath towels on all the machines...

Regards,

Bill

xlowes

New User
Nick
Thanks for the suggestions. Will probably get the T-9. My place is not climate controlled so I don't want to keep battling rust.

Nick

Last edited:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have always just used paste wax. Have never had a problem with surface rust.

Caveat. I am in the shop several times every week, and my shops have always had heat/air, to differing degrees ( :) ). YMMV

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I use paste was too but the current issue of FWW reviewed rust inhibitors and did not think much of wax. Interesting article.

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
Just today my Fine Woodworking was delivered. It has an article comparing many many commercial products and a couple common oils. May at least help you make sure your decision is a good one.

Ras

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
BoShield t9 has magical powers in my shop / non climate controlled garage. I clean the tops of my equipment when I buy them with citrus cleaners, then apply a heavy coating of t9, let it sit for a while and wipe off anything that will come off. I then put some paste wax on top for friction management and i am done. I cover my cast iron with towels when not in use to keep dust and hands off them and I have zero rust on my table saw which has not had the above treatment of t9 applied to it in over 2 years.Every now and again I will apply wax but only when the surface is not slick enough.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The best and longest lasting treatment is Boeshield T9. In a Wood Magazine test a couple of years ago, it was the only treatment that was effective for longer than 12-24 hours. Depending how much you use you tools, an application should last one to six months. Apply per the instructions and when dry, apply a coat of furniture paste wax like Johnson Paste Wax to make the top slippery.

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
What brands were mentioned in the article?

Nick

They compare 21 different products. they compare performance on A2 tool steel and on cast iron. they liked CRC Industrial's 3-36 best for cast iron because it has a smell and moovit for hand tools because it has less smell.

they review boeshield T9, camelia oil, CRC 3-36, jojoba oil LPS 3, Moovit, permatex rust treatment, progold PG 2000, renaissance wax, rust block by evapo-rust, rusterizer armor, rustoleum stops rust rust inhibitor, SC johnson paste wax, slipit, topcote by bostik, topsaver, waxilit, WD-40, WD-40 long term corrosion inhibitor and 3m rust fighter-1.

I haven't tried them all since yesterday, though:rotflm:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS