Rust on my table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
I have been away from my shop for the last two weeks or so due to the start of the school year. As I was preparing things for the arrival for Irene I noticed some rust on my table saw. Most of it rubbed off with my finger but I would like to handle it before it gets to be a problem.

How do I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on T-9, but Johnson's Paste Wax seems to be the hands down favorite on this site for TS tops. It doesn't have the potential to leave an oily film on the wood. :icon_thum

TBradley190

New User
Tim
+1 on the T-9, I have also used wd-40 with wet/dry sandpaper in a pinch, but after you clean it off, apply a paste wax to protect it and keep it from happening again. It will also help your stock slide easier. Hope you fair well through the storm!

Tim

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I do still have some rust on the table, so do these products also remove rust?

Boeshield and paste wax are for the prevention side. WD-40 and a scotch brite pad or wet/dry sand paper (as TBradley mentioned) + elbow grease will work fine for removing it most of the time. If not Boeing sells a product called Rust Free but I would try the WD-40 approach first.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Woodcraft and a few other places sell a Boeshield kit with 3 different sprays. One removes rust. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000984/17586/Small-Tool-Care-Kit.aspx

I used the Rust Free on my table saw that sat at my parents house for the last 6 years. Takes the rust right off with a little scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad. Then I spray on the T-9 and wipe it off. I use it on all my cast iron surfaces and don't have any problems with rust. I also use SlipIt after the T-9 to make is nice and smooth.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bar Keeper's Friend (available at Lowes, and other stores) contains oxcilic acid which removes rust stains. You have add a little water to BKF, use fine Scotch Brite pad and scrub. Then clean dry and spray with WD-40. Then I use my secret formula. (Now remember it's a secret.) Shave some paraffin into some deodorized / low odor mineral spirits. Let MS desolve paraffin, and then put in spray bottle. Spray top, let dry, and then buff out.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bar Keeper's Friend (available at Lowes, and other stores) contains oxcilic acid which removes rust stains. You have add a little water to BKF, use fine Scotch Brite pad and scrub. Then clean dry and spray with WD-40. Then I use my secret formula. (Now remember it's a secret.) Shave some paraffin into some deodorized / low odor mineral spirits. Let MS desolve paraffin, and then put in spray bottle. Spray top, let dry, and then buff out.

I haven't tried BKF on Cast Iron. It works great on Stainless Steel sinks and grills. I used a set of these http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-... BLOCKS- ALL GRITS&qryType=GRPSG&group=SANDAC

Bruce's paraffin (Gulfwax from the grocery store) and MS secret recipie in a spray bottle works great for me for protection. Need to keep it in the house during the winter to stay liquid.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I used Johnson's Paste Wax in the past, but noticed the rust return on the portions of the top where the lumber was frquently in contact with the surface when machining. I have been using Top Saver, available @ Klingspors for several years and highly recommend it. Spray it on, then scrub with a Scotch Brite pad. It will remove the rust. Allow to dry and then buff off with a clean rag. Leaves a friction free surface; the rust protection will last for months and months.:thumbs_up

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Clean it and then make it so it doesn't happen again

Recommend cleaning the top with a scrub pad and rust remover or kerosene. There are several types of rust remover, I use TopSaver too, but if the rust isn't too bad kerosene will do it. The kerosene will clean the rust and since it has some oil in it, scrubbing the surface will work the oil into the surface.

Then wipe and dry. I then spray on the boeshield, let it dry and wipe it down. Don't just do the TS top, ensure you get to rails and all the faces of the fence too. And finally goes on the Johnson's paste wax, thin coat, rubbed and buffed. And then a second coat. Refresh once a month and redo the whole process once a year and I haven't seen rust in even the most humid of climates.

Good luck.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

I'll second Barkeepers Friend. It is a great product. Then After wiping it off I let it dry and shoot on some Boeshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS