Routing Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boilermaker

New User
Scott
I'm planning a project to install granite tile in my kitchen. The problem I'm having is how to come up with an attractive solution for the edge of the tiles that will overhang the cabinets. I've come across an edging technique called bullnosing which is basically the equivelant of rounding the edge of a peice of wood with a router. My question is, does anyone know if you there are stone routing bits for a conventional wood router and would this actually work?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Scott, welcome to the site. You pose an interesting question. I think that a standard router can be used to machine Granite, but the material is best cut with water as a lubricant and coolant, so you might need to have a router that is sealed to that moisture. The bits used to machine Granite are diamond plated, and not really cheap, for a one time job. Here is a link to one of the manufactures/distributors of such bits - http://www.granitecitytool.com/show...um=37&pcatnum=80&n=Blue Diamond Plated Wheels I hope that helps somewhat. I look forward to seeing some pics of the final results and following how you get it worked out.
Dave:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Another welcome to the forum! My first thought regarding the solution to this problem is to take the tiles to a monument company or stone yard and ask them to run the edge for you. My second idea is to buy a complimenting edge tile and incorporate it into the design. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I think you would be better off letting the pro's handle it.I've been around a granite shop. Had a freind that worked at one. Once it's cut there's a ton of finishing to get the glaze back.8-O Hate to be the bearer of bad news. And welcome to the site:icon_thum.You will never meet a better group of splinter head's and ciber folk's.:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm planning a project to install granite tile in my kitchen. The problem I'm having is how to come up with an attractive solution for the edge of the tiles that will overhang the cabinets. I've come across an edging technique called bullnosing which is basically the equivelant of rounding the edge of a peice of wood with a router. My question is, does anyone know if you there are stone routing bits for a conventional wood router and would this actually work?

You can buy the tiles with the bullnose and corner miters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS