Router-Table Push Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
This past month I have been building jigs - here's another one!

P10301681.jpg

A new method of putting my name & date on projects.

Check photo details if are interested in how it's made:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=32775&nocache=1

More to come later....

-Don

Takarin

New User
Takarin
Looks solid. What does this jig do for you? (Sorry if it's obvious... I'm still new!)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks good Don. Let me guess - you attach small work pieces to the fence so you can flush trim/ roundover/ dado them?

I like the idea of making a recess for a name label. I may have to combine this with Ernie's method of applying a finish over paper. I have one of those cheap $15 Brother label makers. You can get it with white and clear tape. With the clear tape and a shallow recess, I should be able to make a nice, unobtrusive maker's mark. And once the finish is applied (shellac, poly), it'll never move.

fergy

New User
Fergy
And it's a right-angle jig for things such as cutting the ends of the rails for cope and stick joinery, I'm betting. So much more elegant than trying to keep a square block of wood in place while holding the rail.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Looks solid. What does this jig do for you? (Sorry if it's obvious... I'm still new!)

Hi Takarin, this jig is used on a router table to keep the stock square to the fence, and provide a sacrificial backing board to minimize tear out. The Push-Pad slides along the fence for reference; note there is no miter track guid rail on this jig.

As Fergy stated above - cutting the ends of the rails for cope and stick joinery is a good example. The spinning router bit tends move the stock on end cuts - the jig provides additional control and adds a measure of safety. In some cases I will use a Quick-Grip clamp to secure the stock to the Push-Pad fence.

This is one of those jig you only think about when you need one :eusa_thin.

-Don

KC7CN

New User
Don
Looks good Don. Let me guess - you attach small work pieces to the fence so you can flush trim/ roundover/ dado them?

I like the idea of making a recess for a name label. I may have to combine this with Ernie's method of applying a finish over paper. I have one of those cheap $15 Brother label makers. You can get it with white and clear tape. With the clear tape and a shallow recess, I should be able to make a nice, unobtrusive maker's mark. And once the finish is applied (shellac, poly), it'll never move.

Good guess Bas! The label maker is a good idea! I did that several years ago, but that machine is long gone; ran out of tape and could'nt find any to buy. I was looking for something that was relatively easy to do. If you try this method be sure to put the label on after the finish; DAMHIKT :eusa_doh:.

-Don

Takarin

New User
Takarin
Hi Takarin, this jig is used on a router table to keep the stock square to the fence, and provide a sacrificial backing board to minimize tear out. The Push-Pad slides along the fence for reference; note there is no miter track guid rail on this jig.

As Fergy stated above - cutting the ends of the rails for cope and stick joinery is a good example. The spinning router bit tends move the stock on end cuts - the jig provides additional control and adds a measure of safety. In some cases I will use a Quick-Grip clamp to secure the stock to the Push-Pad fence.

This is one of those jig you only think about when you need one :eusa_thin.

-Don

Ahh, I see it now. I have push pads for my router table, but they are just a block of wood with rubber grip pads glued to the bottom. I wasn't thinking about small pieces. Duh.

You're right - this is one of those 'man, I wish I had a...' ideas. Good work!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you try this method be sure to put the label on after the finish; DAMHIKT :eusa_doh:.
Hmm, I was thinking about putting the finish over the label, to protect it. Given the quality of printer ink, or rather the lack thereof, it would fade within 20-25 years. So why not put the finish over it, does it make the ink run?

KC7CN

New User
Don
Hmm, I was thinking about putting the finish over the label, to protect it. Given the quality of printer ink, or rather the lack thereof, it would fade within 20-25 years. So why not put the finish over it, does it make the ink run?

The steps I used was to apply double-sided carpet tape to the back of the printed label, and transparent shipping tape over the printed side ( to cover the ink). The recessed slot provides a pocket to protect the edges of the label from catching on anything. When I applied the label before finish, on one project, the wipe-on Poly soaked into the label. Not pretty! I'm sure there's a better method, but this works for now! A custom branding tool would be nice, but there's no date with this method.

You might be able to finish over the label from your label maker! Might be an easier/better way to do it!

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS