Router Table Insert Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I was using my router table yesterday and had a very scary incident. I had a 2" pattern cutting bit in the router trimming a chair leg to the pattern when two of the screws holding the router to the router plate tore loose. I quickly unplugged the router. I purchased the Benchdog clear plexiglass type plate about 2 years ago thinking it would be beneficial as you can see through the top (dumb idea, it clouds over very quickly). The screws tore through the bottom of the plexiglass plate removing the material with them and leaving a hole the size of the screw head. I am not sure if the large router bit was just too much for this to handle, faulty design using such a material or what. I am really scared of my router, especially with this size bit and this increased the fear.

In theory, I could re drill at another location but I am now scared. I am stuck with Benchdog due to the unique size but as soon as I WW supply receives a shipment or I can go to Klingspor in raleigh, I intend to upgrade to the aluminum model.

Has anyone had a similar incident that could shed light on how to avoid this in the future?

gator

George
Corporate Member
It is hard to say, but I would consider the following possibilities, individually or in some combination:
defective plate (after two years, probably not)
vibration
vibration coupled with loose screws (even slightly loose)
weight of router being too much for plate (and/or in combination with either vibration mode)
did the bit happen to hit the cut-out in the plate causing a one-time shock?

These reasons are where I would look first, but then I'm no router expert so any of these are just a guess.

George

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
There was a lot of vibration. After removing the router, the plate is no longer flat and has a bow so there must have been some stress. Tonight I tried a little section with the router to cut the wood. There is a lot of virbration just using the router and I was scared to try cutting. I decided to go the safe route. I attached the template to a leg and used a spokeshave to cut down to the template. I have done this before but with the 95+ weather and high humidity, it makes for hard hot work. I have AC in the shop but do not turn on until I come home in the evenings then work after dinner. It was still 85 in the shop tonight so I did not last long.
The classic tools are a lot of work but they leave a nice edge and are very safe. I will go back to just using the router with small roundover bits etc. My Porter Cable 690 may not be enough power for such a large bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors