Router plane suggestions?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
One tool I don't have is a router plane. I've watched patiently for a nice vintage one to pop up on CR, but haven't seen one I felt was worth the asking price or driving a long way for.

There are number of them like these on Amazon, but I have no experience with any of those brand names.

1634767966673.png

1634768118149.png

Scott H

Scott
User
I have not tried the Cowryman types on Amazon so I really can't comment on their quality, but if I had to choose between the two you pictured, the second one where the shank is vertical instead of at a 45 degree angle seems way more useful to me. I made a very flimsy router plane early on that used a chisel clamped in place at a 45 degree angle and I found out the back of the blade easily bumps into the work if your recess is not very wide relative to its depth. Probably easier to sharpen though.

I ended up getting a Veritas when my homemade one eventually broke and I like it. The only advice I have is put a wood sole on it and keep the allen key nearby if you are using the blades that screw onto the shank, because occasionally they will start wiggling and you stop getting consistent cuts.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I picked up the second one. Took a little to get it flat and sharp, but it seems to work though I have nothing to compare it to. Only used it a couple of times.
You might note in both, the lock goes directly against the threads. No half nut in there. Adjustment is not precision.

Trey1984

Trey
User
I found my old stanley on cl but took a while. When you see shop sales be very observant of stuff in background. The one I got I seen hanging on the wall in the pic.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Don't buy junk.

The old Stanleys work great if you can find one. I have a Veritas, only b/c it has the string inlay attachments. But I have never liked the adjustment on it. When the nut is tightened about as hard as I can, the iron till moves. And no, I'm not an old guy with arthritis.

Had to do over, I would buy a Lie Nielsen.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
While I've got a couple of the full size Stanley router planes, it seems like I'm always reaching for the little Stanley 271 for this or that little detail clean up like hinge mortises. or checking the depth of a dado. The full size router planes are too big and awkward for such work and they can rock on edges being detailed.

1    271 - 1.jpg

1    271 - 2.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ve used a bench dog while I was in Asheville and it’s a good tool.

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
...and no issues?
Nothing I can't live with. Top of casting is a bit rough. Edges of the base needed to be softened with a file. I refinished and waxed the handles (like I do for all my vintage refurbs). Otherwise it functions just as well. Resale value is not like the Lie Nielsen but I wanted a user. If I would have wanted to get more functionality, I probably would have gotten a Veritas.

Maybe someday I can find a nice vintage Stanley.

For the price difference I got a great Stanley 12 1/2 to refurb.

mpeele

michael
User
I'll second pop-pop. Ed probably has more than one and you can try it out and Ed will explain the finer points. I have two, one small (Stanley 271) and one large (Stanley 71).
I think I have used the smaller one more than the larger.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS