Router Extension Collet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Good idea or bad?
Safe or dangerous?
What brand/manufacturer do you like or dislike?

Here's the link for CMT and MCLS.

TIA,
Roger

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Good idea or bad?
Safe or dangerous?
What brand/manufacturer do you like or dislike?

Here's the link for CMT and MCLS.

TIA,
Roger
Roger,
I have the MCLS 1/4" and the 1/2" collet. I like them very much and it saves alot of time changing bits. Terry

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Roger, I have the MCLS and IMO, it's o.k. I haven't used the CMT but based only on my experience with using CMT and MCLS router bits, I prefer CMT by far.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Roger,

I have the MCLS and used it with a large FREUD panel rasing bit when I made our kitchen cabinets. I have not had any problem with it.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Roger,

I have the Xtreme Extension from Price Cutter which is of similiar design, except the chuck is bigger and there is an allen set screw to tighten the bits in the chuck. I have used it on several projects and I like being able to change bits above the table. I have both the 1/2' and 1/4' collets. I have had no problem with slipage or such, so I don't worry much about a bit coming loose and flying across the shop (which is scarry).
Jim in Mayberry

sapwood

New User
Roger
One of my concerns was the fear of using one with bigger bits. The Xtreme Xtension was new to me. The allen set screw locking system looks secure and easy to change bits . . . but it ain't cheap :-D

Thanks folks :icon_thum
Roger

M

McRabbet

Roger,

I've used the 1/2" MLCS extension collet with my 3-1/2 HP Milwaukee without any problems -- It is perfectly balanced and uses two wrenches to tighten it. Well made.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Roger,
I also have the xtreme xtension and I really like it. It is expensive, but it's very very easy to use. Actually, it took me about two uses to get used to it as funny as that sounds. I had trouble with the angle of the allen wrench, but got used to that fast. A couple things that I really like are that the extention reacts very quickly to turning of key. I think I typically only turn it 1/4 turn to take bits out and to secure them in. The other thing that is nice is the ease of switching from 1/2" bits to 1/4".

I have been using the extension for 1/8" bits (w/1/4" shanks) and large raised panel bits (1/2" shanks) and had absolutely no problems with slippage, etc. ...and it is sure nice being able to change the bit above the table...hope that helps....

oh...btw...woodpeckers sells it to...just in case you find a discount code or som'n.
http://www.woodpeck.com/xtremextension.html

Cheers,
Chris

Trog777

New User
Trog
I have the CMT. I've used it to make routed bowls with a plunge router. Works great, but I have to use a big adjustable wrench on it because I don't have a wrench that big. But since that's the only thing I've used it for so far, I just leave a bowl n tray bit in it.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Take a look at the "Eliminator Chuck". These are brand specific and can be bought on Ebay for about 45. They replace the nut part of the router chuck. I have been using them for years and they are great. 1/4 turm with an allen wrench is all it takes to change a bit.

Sully

New User
jay
Another vote for the Extreme Extension. I've had it mounted in a DW625 in my table for 2+years without any problems. I echo similar nice features also reported above: no slippage, no vibration, easy of bit/collet changes, etc. If I had a second router table I wouldn't think twice about purchasing another one.
J

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
WC in Raleigh is having a grand reopening sale on 2/8 and 2/9 and it will include a 5% off anything you can fit in their bag sale. so the $64.99 eliminator chuck will be $55.24! That is $9.75 off. Not bad.

Doug

sapwood

New User
Roger
More thanks folks!
Thanks Doug :icon_thum
I got the flyer AND February is my birthday month :eusa_danc
But several searches on their website produced only a spinning disk :5hypnodis I'll try again today :mrgreen:
I've sometimes found the WWS site to be a bit sluggish too.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors