Router edge guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
I have the DW 618 router kit and have a project where an edge guide would come in handy. I am considering this one. Any opinions on the Dewalt guide, or sugestions for another. I really like the double edge guide Pat Warner makes but just cant bring myself to spend that much.

The LOML has been wanting a couple of butterfly boxes and when I showed her the one Roger (Sapwood) made link she said she wanted one just like that. When I told her I needed the right tools to do that with she said to get what I need :icon_thum . You gatta love that.

newtonc

New User
jak
I have a Dewalt router from 1994(615) that came with pretty much that same fence minus the dust port.It works great for those certain jobs,I would say to get one.
However,if you plan on using it for cutting the butterfly slots,I would prefer a straight edge clamped down to run against.With those fences the pressure must be applied to keep both those feet running on the edge of the board.It can be done with that fence,but with the plunging down and running the line and the exiting I would be more comfortable with a straight board clamped down on to the work piece.
I have cut slots before,not often,and always just used a board.
my 2 cents

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I find that the edge guides with built in vacumm to be bulky and hard to manage. I just clamp a piece of wood across the base plate of the router for an edge guide. You can make a rectangular base plate, dirll a hole in one corner to fasten a piece of 3/4 stock. Piviot from this point and clamp the other end with a 2" C-clamp. Only pennies, and is micro adjustable in 0.002" incriments. Hint: fasten a block against fence and loosen clamp, them put a post it note between fence and block. Move fence against post it note- 0.002" of adjustment at bit. That is close enough for me. Need an adjustment of 0.001, rip a post it note in half on TS. For this operation, I would definately use a "glue line rip blade."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have that model edge guide on the 618 and I really like it. I think it is well built and does what you expect it to do. I recommend it.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use this guide with my DW621. Add a wooden extension to each of the fence runners to give yourself a more stable cut and take off the dust collection attachment if it gets in your way. It snaps on and off. The hose adapter is useful for other DW dust collection attachments. Works very well and I look like David Marks when I use it:roll: .

sapwood

New User
Roger
Randy,
That is the edge guide and router I used. As others mentioned, removing the dust port makes the routing much easier. I did it outside on a Workmate bench to avoid the sawdust cleanup.

Look forward to seeing the completed butterfly house :icon_thum

Roger

eezlock

New User
Jim Heffner
Bryan, I have that same edge guide for my DeWalt 616 router and it works very well, especially the micro adjust feature,really like that.
Get it, you'll like it! eezlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS