Router Bit Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I am redoing my router table to make new accommodations in my shop. I have most(99%) or my router bits still in the packages (they are 98% whiteside bits, LOVE 'EM). My question is do most of you store them outside of the packages or keep them in packages. I have kept them in the packages as I know exactly what they are when I grab them.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Rouer Bit Storage

routertable_side.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

I do as Bas does.....drawers in the router table

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

All of my bits are stored in drawers in the router cabinet. Large bits and boxed sets I usually leave in the package/box/whatever.

Router cabinet build 070.JPG Router cabinet build 068.JPG Router cabinet build 069.JPG

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

Early on I learned that router bits with a 1/2" shank don't easily fit down into a 1/2" hole. I use a 33/64th bit for the holes. 17/32 seemed too sloppy. For 1/4" bits, 17/32. That's just tight enough to hold the bits upright and loose enough to remove them easily.
If you want to get fancy, grind a brad point on the drill bit with a stubby brad point and somewhat shallow cutting spurs. Makes for nice flat bottom holes.

Timmy

New User
Tim

I store them out of their package in a portable tray in a draw that is in the router table. If I am using the plunge router i can take the tray out to where i am using it. The trays usually stay in the table though.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris

Mine looks almost exactly like Bas' - except I have 3 drawers on each side. The top drawers are really drawers (boxed) and the bottom 2 are bit trays, middle is 1/4" shanks and the bottoms are 1/2" shanks.

JimD

Jim
Senior User

Mine are not as nice looking as Bas' but are functionally the same. Two for 1/2 shanks on one side and 2 for 1/4 o the other. Should have gone with three 1/2 and one 1/4. But so far I am not out of space.

I tried all my drill bits and found one a little on the large side to do the 1/2 holes. Sometimes it helps to have cheap bits. I also have a set of letter and number size but I don't think I used one of those, but I might have.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member

I'm with MarkE.

Some are stored in original packaging (easy to find the right size), some are boxed sets (love my Freud and even WoodCraft sets), and some are stored in bit holders from LV.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member

It is probably just me, but I store them in their original packages stuffed in drawers. I would like to do as
Bas and others have done, but my problem is distinguishing the small differences between some of the bits (e.g, 1/8, 3/16 etc.). Again, it is probably just me, but I have used bits, thinking they were something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors