Router bit storage box

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This thread hasn't been far from my mind so when I got a couple of new Infinity bits, I realized that I'd run out of space and now was the perfect time. Thought I'd pass this along for some amusement.

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/router-bit-storage-ideas.66349/

1 router bit storage - 1.jpg

Cabinet box and drawers. This thing goes on a specific shelf and thus the size roughly 13.5" wide x 12.5 high. The 1/2" maple drawer sides are grooved for side hung runners. I had a little African mahogany plywood that I looked forward to using up. I hated that stuff. The drawer bottoms of the bottom two drawers are the same 3/4 plywood. Lots of 33/64th holes for the 1/2" bits and letter F sizes for the 1/4" bits. I put some 3/16" studs in the back of one drawer to hold the 1/4" screw-on bit inserts.

1 router bit storage - 2.jpg

Cabinet complete. This box will go on a specific shelf.

1 router bit storage - 3.jpg

Lots of 33/64th holes. Holes are 1" on center with an alternating offset row. I gave a little clearance around the inside of the drawer so it will be easier to retrieve the bits that are on the outside perimeter of the hole pattern.

1 router bit storage - 4.jpg

The drawer sides were cut out to allow easier access to the router bits close to the edges. Only after I'd done the drawers did I realize that I really didn't need the back to stick up so high since I had drawer runners to support the drawer and not the top of the box like the earlier design.

1 router bit storage - 5.jpg

Top drawer will be for accessories like collets and template guides.

1 router bit storage - 7.jpg

Bottom two drawers loaded. I'm not so sure I've got a lot of room for more large bits.

1 router bit storage 1 - 1.jpg

Original bit boxes before unloading.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Now the real question - Which bits are sharp?
Thanks for all the kind words. Maybe this will inspire like that original thread did for me.

Ken,
Good point. I actually culled a bunch of them when I transferred the bits to their new box. I kept a few known dull ones because I'll either have them sharpened or sharpen them myself. Most router bits now days are so cheap and good that its not worth having them sharpened. I keep some Sears HSS screw-on cutters handy just as raw material for grinding a special profile when needed.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Bob, great looking storage box. I've been thinking of building a wall-mounted router bit cabinet but I like your design better. Now, a crazy question: how did you align and space the holes so perfectly.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
how did you align and space the holes so perfectly.
I drew pencil lines one inch apart. A grid of one inch squares. Then I cross hatched them to show the the center of each square. Over to the drill press and I drilled away. Lots of holes but they were easy enough to eyeball center. It looks good enough but they are far from perfect. I've got a mill with a digital readout but that was going to take way too long.

I did make a screwup on the 1/4" holes and forgot to layout the center hole in each square. I did have to use the mill for that because the drill press chuck wouldn't get down in the way I wanted it to. The fourth photo down shows the holes that weren't drilled in the center of each square. The 6th photo that has the bits installed has the new series of holes.

Yes, it did take some time but this design suited me better than the ones shown in the original thread I linked to. I just don't have a lot of free shop wall space for a nice cabinet like some that were shown.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS