Router Bit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenguWoodwork

Kelly
Senior User
Hi Woodworkers,
So I think I'm about due for a question. This one involves trying to simplify/ speed up my bokken (wood practice sword for martial arts) production. I'm curious if anyone knows a router bit that gives me an ellipse similar to the picture (insert, bottom left). The key is the ellipse, as round-overs don't give the right feel.

The commercially available bokken seem to route the cutting edge and handle identically, then route the back edge with angled bit.

My current process is bandsaw a blank, route the back edge of the blade, and block plane/spoke shave the handle and cutting edge. I want to reserve hand-carved for special pieces.
iwama ken.jpg
Approximate dimensions: 1"w x 1.25 - 1.5"h x ~40"l

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I think the bit you're looking for is a "Table Edge Router Bit" of the Thumbnail variety. Google images "table edge router bit" MLCS bit #'s 8558-8560 should get you close to the bottom left inset picture you posted.

Tony

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Two solutions-

1. Typically, you would use two different roundover bits and use a plane, draw knife, or scraper, or custom made scratch stock to smooth the transition where the two curves meet.

2. Have a router bit or shaper cutter custom made to your desired shape. Many companies will grind your profile for a decent price

I assume the bokken is curved and not an optical illusion. If so, off-center turning is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors