router bit for planning

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am going to make a router sled so I can use my router to plane boards wider than my planner(one n or two?)

What would be the best bit?

Scott H

Scott
User
You can get spoilboard flattening bits or bowl/tray bottom bits, basically they are large diameter and cut flat on the bottom.

The bowl/tray bottom bits have rounded corners so might be less likely to leave track marks, not sure as I haven't tried them myself.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor has an excellent flattening bit.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Klingspor sells two diameter spoiler bits, the difference being the diameter. They also carry Amana spoiler bits which I believe use carbide cutters.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It’s planer. A planner is something you write a plan in.

OCD is a terrible thing. 😁

I suggest you have to match the diameter to the motor size. A router in a planer sled can be a strain. Be careful about overheating. The largest I use in. 3 1/4” router is 2”.
Shouldn't that be 3 1/4 HP instead of 3 1/4 inches? OCD at it's best. ROFLMAO

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have used all kinds of spoiler bits The one I found to work best for me is a 4 insert carbide 2.50" bit. I want to say it is an Amana might have been a Whiteside. Usually called a CNC Spoiler bit

Anyway, that bit has been my go to for flatting, very good results. The larger dimeter bits TBH, are way scarier to use and not work stress on the tool or the user.

Greg_G

Greg_G
User
I just bought one of the Woodpecker Ultra-Shear flattening bits with the 4 sided carbide cutters. Got it today so not sure how it'll be but it sure looks like it'll work!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
And as long as we're all being OCD, they are not spoiler bits. They are spoil board cutters, used in CNC machines to refresh the spoil board. They are really designed for removing small amounts of MDF from the work surface (sacrificial) that we routinely cut into running cuts that pass through our workpieces.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS