Router and router table help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I got an older 3 1/4 HP router I think it's a Makita 3612BR. Anyways, I built a good stout router table and I mounted an external speed control. For the top I used 2 peices of 3/4 birch ply wood and cut a 1/2 thick piece of polycrylic for the insert to hang the router.

I got two problems...

* because I did such a thick top I'm having a hard time adjusting the router bit high enough - do they make an extension?

* I would like to replace the top with something that will flip up one the ends to support longer stock, something good and slick, maybe with rollers. It's not uncommon for me to rout 12' long boards. What's a good top that I can buy to slip my router in and I can upgrade with fancy gadgets over time?

The base is fine it's good and stout but it's the top that I would like to replace.

Thanks

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You need to recess the router into the top. Say use a straight bit to leave a 1/4" to 1/2" of thickness. That is my first suggestion.

As for a top, mileage varies. Cheap and dirty would be to go and buy a sheet of melamine and rip it down to the width you want. Again, recess the router into the top.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Jeff - So what are you routing in 12' long boards ?!?

Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

pete

4yanks

New User
Willie
MDF makes a really slick surface if you finish it with a few coats of wiping polyurethane, and it's dirt cheap as material go these days. Make sure to finish both sides to prevent warping. If it is well supported underneath 3/4" MDF will remain reasonable flat (which is all I have come to expect). Sand the final coat to 600 grit and wax, and 12' boards will glide across.

J

jeff...

Hey Jeff - So what are you routing in 12' long boards ?!?

Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

pete

Bull nose deck plank, it's better than walking 12' 4 times with a router spinning a 1/2 round over bit :roll:

J

jeff...

I have one of these extensions in my table. I really like it. It makes for easy one-handed bit changes above, and it seems very well balanced.

http://www.amazon.com/Router-Technologies-EX-2080-Professional/dp/B000EXQ2FA/

HTH

That is exactly what I'm looking for - just ordered one.

Thanks man !!!

Now for the top, I think I'll just build something so I can attach a 12" roller on each side and call it done for now. I still would like to find a good top.

Thanks

M

McRabbet

I got an older 3 1/4 HP router I think it's a Makita 3612BR. Anyways, I built a good stout router table and I mounted an external speed control. For the top I used 2 peices of 3/4 birch ply wood and cut a 1/2 thick piece of polycrylic for the insert to hang the router.

I got two problems...

* because I did such a thick top I'm having a hard time adjusting the router bit high enough - do they make an extension?

* I would like to replace the top with something that will flip up one the ends to support longer stock, something good and slick, maybe with rollers. It's not uncommon for me to rout 12' long boards. What's a good top that I can buy to slip my router in and I can upgrade with fancy gadgets over time?

The base is fine it's good and stout but it's the top that I would like to replace.

Thanks
Jeff,

I may be too late with this, but I have the 1/2" version of this Router Bit extension from MLCS and it works fine.

Nativespec

New User
David
Jeff:

I have a Freud table insert for their FT3000 (3 1/4 hp model) which has two rings that can be inserted for different size bits. I also have a wooden insert that fits around it (took quite some time). It may fit your router (they look very similar), but if not, you can drill new holes.

I would be glad to trade for wood.

David

919-420-0267 (Raleigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS