Round Tenons - any (cheap) ideas?

Claus

Claus
User
I’ve been getting into the Lost Art Press Blog and the stick chairs he’s making. I really like the looks of some of those chairs and would love to try to build one or a few. I know there’s a book in the works but I’d rather try a few things before spending money. (Or maybe this is just an internet infatuation)

So from a perspective of staked furniture in general it seems to me that crux of it is a round through-tenon into a round hole, with a taper (buy “giant pencil sharpener“ and reamer) being another option. I’m happy to try some prototype chairs, stools, tables, whatever, to see if I can make it work before jumping in deeper.

Does anyone have a good method for making a plain, untapered round tenon? Larger than 1/2 inch but probably less than 1 inch. Hand carving is not my forte and it seems a good fit is critical. I’ve seen some Izzy Swan contraptions but don’t really want to go that far. Any ideas?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
How about a tenon cutter for a brace?

PXL_20211105_185913622.jpg

PXL_20211105_185907888.jpg

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Veritas makes excellent tapered tennon cutters. They are manual as opposed to the one Chris C posted but work great out of the box. I have cut about 300 or more and still have not had to sharpen. They are about $60 each. I have a 3/8 and 1/2 as these are generally used for the back support spindles. FYI, I generally do not glue these and this tool allows a precise fit of multiple spindles. The most I have ever done in a single row was a Nakashima bench with 17 spindles

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I see them regularly so I would have thought eBay... but a quick search yielded little. I think I paid $35 for mine. I saw one at a regular haunt several weeks ago. If I can swing by I'll stop and see if it's still there. IIRC it was in that same price range and was complete.

Claus

Claus
User
Thanks for all the suggestions, some of those table saw methods look possible.
I should clarify - I’d rather not buy anything at this point, I’d rather use something that I already have (standard shop: table saw, band saw, router w/table, etc) as this is sort of a proof of concept for me. If it works I’ll probably spring for the veritas cutter and tapered reamer.

—Claus

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I may have a second - let me look this weekend, and then remind me on Monday that I said I would look! LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors