Roubo Bookstand ~ Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

New User
Tim
It’s day two of the Roubo bookstand build. Yesterday I got the hinge section chiseled away, which I thought would have taken the longest amount of time. I have all my lines laid out so I don’t have to waste any time getting right into ripping the board. First up I take my smaller miter saw and start at the closest corner and make sure that as I cut, everything is nice and straight. If you start to get off it will look bad on the inside.
After I get as deep as the miter saw will go, I switched over to my crosscut saw. At this point I’m wishing that I had a rip saw. My forearms are getting a great workout with this.
When one side is done, you have to do the exact same thing on the other end. Make sure you don’t cut too deep or it will leave a gap when the stand closes.
It is the moment of truth now. Will it easily break apart or will you need some extra “fine tuning”? Well for me I needed some extra fine tuning of the hinge section. I didn’t make some of the areas deep enough. I was very cautious though as I didn’t want to snap the pieces by prying on them too hard. So after I chiseled away some more wood I was able to easily split it apart!
After splitting it apart I noticed some thing looked odd. I will be making a short video tomorrow discussing the stand and things I would do differently. As you may have also noticed there is no decorative design on the stand. I will doing this tomorrow as well. Hope your having a great summer so far and look for the video out tomorrow on my Youtube channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors