Rosewood and walnut box

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I've finished another box. This one is made with rosewood, walnut and curly maple.

P6220006_edited.jpg
[/IMG]
P6220002_edited.jpg
[/IMG]
P6220005_edited.JPG
[/IMG]
P6220010_edited.JPG
[/IMG]
P6220012_edited.jpg
[/IMG]
P6220015_edited.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
P6220005_edited.JPG
[/IMG]

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Beautiful box John. Lots of techniques in use there. I like the splines and the "butterflys". Beautiful woods.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tom

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, that is an exquisitely constructed box. The splined miters and dovetailed keys are a mark of the finest craftsmanship. And your wood choices shows that off beautifully. Did you find the oily nature of the Rosewood a difficulty in gluing and finishing? I have worked with so called "oily" woods before, but it wasn't until I milled up some of the Rosewood flooring pieces I got at the picnic that I really experienced OILY wood. It felt like it got on my fingers 8-O

Dave:)

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Before I glued any of the wood I cleaned it with denatured alcohol. The fun part was making the jigs and getting the correct angle for the cuts.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I thought it might be. Now I have some inspiration as what to do with mine :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc Hopefully I can do something as beautiful as John's box :eusa_pray

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow, beautiful box John. I bet it was a fun challenge working with all of those angles. Your stock choice, joinery and finish all look superb. Great job.:icon_thum What method did you use for cutting your spline slots?

D L

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Simply great:eusa_clap
the woods are beatuful:eusa_clap
and the joinery looks perfect:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow! John, that is a fantastic display of workmanship. The accuracy of the cuts and joinery is impressive. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Out of curiousity, how many cigars did it take to complete that project!! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, you've certainly been the busy beaver lately. :)
Very impressive techniques and results :eusa_clap

Sapwood

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

Everything from the design to the wood selection to the execution is fantastic. That's one really beautiful box. I suspect that I'm not the only one here who is jealous of your box-making talent.

Ray

cskipper

Cathy
I'll answer for him - no there's no pattern. He worked it out in his head and I'm sure did not make notes. He could tell you the specifics - angles etc. if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS