Roof to wall flashing help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh, when does the fun begin?

After our last two rain storms, I finally admitted the leaking in my bathroom might not be a good thing.....

After demolition and exploration, I believe I've figured out whats wrong.

roofflash.png

View image in gallery

Story is my house is a 1924 mill house (so don't expect to find 85 years of building progress to apply!) and they enclosed porches as rooms. Looks to be three tab asphalt shingles over 1/2 ply decking.

The above pic is an attempt to show the current flashing situation. The main roof meets the porch roof with about 4" of vertical drop.

My first question, is there a proper building term for this kind of roof and flashing? My best guess is vertical wall roof flashing.

The bold red line shows the flashing there now. It has about 2" of overhang on the porch roof.

It was also nailed down to the roof (on the 2" porch side). I suspect the nails are also bad?

A great many of the nails have worked loose.

A lot of cases, there are major gaps between the porch roof top row of shingles and the 2" bottom of the flashing.

In the attic, you see enough daylight to get a tan.... This also probably explains the wasps I keep finding indoors (but thats a different tale....)

In two cases, severe rot has occured under the flashing.

My intention is to repair the deck and the rafters. Not worried about that.

What I'm not sure of is how to either fix or replace the flashing so it doesn't happen again :)

I have looked at Home Depot's vertical wall flashing. Its 3"x 5". My thought is to slid this under the current flashing to extend the coverage of the porch roof a full 5" and eliminate the nail holes. Easier said than done I suspect.....

Any help or insights would be appreciated.

Jim

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Sir Reeb it, There a few questions I need answers for; kinda not easy to type, PM me or just call
will try to solve this with ya
Jack 919 375 4442

your roof sounds like a "shed" roof:wsmile:

Tiffany

New User
Tiffany
Uh, yeah, I don't have anything useful to say. I just wanted to say "good luck". I know these things can be a nightmare sometimes!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Where shed roofs meet a wall, I like to use a two piece flashing system, along with either Weather Guard, or Weather Watch. Both of the "weather" products (different manufacturers) are a membrane that is basically self sealing. Ice dam guard is another name for this class of products. Under top two rows of shingles, I place Weather Guard, and turn it up the wall. Under top row of shingles, I place metal flashing, and turn it up the wall. Add top row of shingles over it. Then I make a "Z" flashing that goes under row of shingles on upper level, and goes down wall, and covers first row of shingles on lower roof. A roll of Weather Guard / Watch is about $75. Depending upon how little you need, I would be willing to sell you what you need of stock roll. Roll is 36" wide, so you should get 2-3 passes from a length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS