Roof question on my DIY shed build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
I'm currently building a garden shed and I'm about to start the underlayment on the roof. I just realized that when we installed the 7/16" OSB on the roof, that we didn't do the 1/8" spacing between sheets.

This is an 8x12 shed with a lean-to style roof. Roof dimensions are roughly 10' x 13'.

So my question is, do I need to do the 1/8" spacing on such a small roof?

I can climb back up there and cut a groove with a circular saw, but I just don't know if it matters much on something this size.

Thanks for any input.

DaveD

New User
Dave
You are good to go. Dont overthink it. Spacing might, and I say might, be a concern on a big roof where the OSB has got soaked and the edges have soaked up a lot of moisture.

From a practical standpoint, if you wanted the spacing on a BIG roof you would buy sheets that are already pre trimmed to give you the spacing on the length. IE: already pre trimmed at 95-7/8.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
OSB is an engineered product to reduce the amount of expansion and contraction. Typically I have heard OSB can expand as much as 1/32" per linear foot. Since OSB doesn't have a gain, expansion could be from any direction. So with your small size, you are looking at less than 1/2" if it was all focused on a single direction, which wouldn't happen. Long story to say I think your fine. If its like my DIY projects, I bet you have some 1/32" gaps or so between the panels anyway that will help. 1/8" is more important as you get into larger roof areas

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like a little more overhang to keep the runoff from the roof away from the bottom of the building. On my shop at the farm the overhang was two feet all around.

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm curious about something though. The OSB calls for a fastener every 6 inches on the edge and every 12 inches in the field. With all of those fasteners, I don't see how it really has enough give to expand/contract much.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
It also helps to keep any moisture that may build up (between felt paper and osb) a place to vent off during heating and cooling of the roof. Not a problem on such a small roof. If it was larger it is important to have the space and the connectors to build structural integrity on the roof. So long story short, your good.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to you're good to go.

Did you add drip edging to all 4 edges to shed water. OSB hates water.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I don't know about best practices with OSB, but when they built my 24x24 garage last year they didn't leave any gaps that I can see between the OSB sheets and it hasn't been a problem through the past 18 months or so.

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
My schedule got hijacked, so I'm still working on the shed roof. I got the underlayment done and need to do the fascia and drip edge. Still need to source the metal roofing.

Anyone have any recommendations for a local metal roofing supplier. I was looking at www.triadmetalroof.com .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors