Rockler HVLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Anybody familier with the HVLP system that Rockler has on sale.It's only like $96 with the 20% off deal.I really do not have the ability to spray in my basement shop but figured for that price It would be a affordable system to get acclimated to spraying using the outdoors as a spray booth.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It sounds like that system is similar to the one that HF carries.. that I bought for $70. It does work and I have put down a real nice water-based finish on a cabinet project I did a while back. It's not top of the line, but it works better than I expected it to.
MTCW,
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The Rockler, Woodcraft and HF models are exactly the same as DaveO says. The HF is on sale now or was real recently for around $65. The instructions are much better from Rockler, so if you get the gun somewhere else just download the instructions from Rockler.

Good Luck.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've read that the HF has multiple nozzle sets but the others only include 1. That could be a reason to prefer it if you verify it's true.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've read that the HF has multiple nozzle sets but the others only include 1. That could be a reason to prefer it if you verify it's true.

Jim

My HF set-up came with 3 different needle tips, but no indication on what type of finish/viscosity they were to be used with. That information isn't included in the better Rockler directions either :BangHead:

Dave:)

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I'm actually leaning towards the Earlex 5000 after talking to somebody on the site who purchased one. Can be had for $350 or so and I do plan to use it alot.I will go over to HF and at least look at there's.The Rockler deal is still on but I need to decide something this weekend.
Greg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
$350 is a big step up in price from what you were looking at with the Rockler/Harbor Freight/Woodcraft. I would start comparing stages and prices of different units for that much. To give perspective, I got my Fuji Q4 four stage system for right around $425 from Amazon when they had a big 20 percent off sale.

For that much money I would want a minimum of a 3 stage turbine with a non-bleeder style gun.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
That Fuji is a heck of a system.That was a great price you got.Your right ,at $350 I'm getting near some other quality choices that I would have to consider.I need to read up because a non-bleeder type gun could bite me on the u no wat! and I would not know what it was.Maybe a $100 setup would be a better way to obtain some education.
Greg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Honestly, if you have a compressor, start with a conversion gun like the PC PSH1, one from Northern Handyman, or a Harbor freight one. They are all good guns IMO and the price is a good way to get started to see if spraying is for you.

I would NOT get the Harbor Freight HVLP with a pressure pot. Although a nice set up, the pressure pot corrodes and rusts horrendously. I know this as I bought it to get the pressure pot for the cabinet project.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I have the one from Rockler and used it for the first time this week. Very easy to operate and clean and it worked well no matter which way (sideways, etc.) I held it. I've put on six coats of pre-cat laquer with it and have 4 more to go.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you are still thinking of options, I like my Wagner conversion gun from Gleem Paint. It is about $125. Extra nozzle sets are available but kind of pricey. I am using the ones it came with and have sprayed Minwax water based poly which it did but it was tough getting the settings right and Resisthane which is sprays easily and well. I only have a little Bostitch 1.5hp compressor which will work with the Wagner but probably would not with other conversion guns, from what I have read.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS