RIP Myron Curtis

iclark

Ivan
User
This sad news was in my email today:

The officers and board members of Tidewater Turners are sad to report the passing of one of our long-time members.

Myron Curtis, passed away, today, September 17th after a recent illness.

Myron, with 85 years of woodturning experience, was a founding member of our club and instrumental in forming the club we know today. From its creation until just days ago, Myron participated in most all our events. Myron was well known in the AAW and, over the years, taught at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts. He will always be remembered as the inventor of the quarter inch drop-nose scraper. It was not unusual for him to pull one out of a pocket to demonstrate a particular facet of woodturning. It’s hard to believe there isn’t a member of Tidewater Turners who hasn’t benefited by his advice. He and Sue welcomed many a turner to their home and into his shop. Just this summer, he hosted a series of woodturning classes. Any time you visited, you could depend on being assigned “homework” to complete before the next meeting. For many years, he regularly attended our meetings sitting in “his” chair. Myron will be missed by woodturners both in our club and throughout the AAW.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That hurts to hear. Myron was a friend years back when I first got into turning. His legacy lives on in the skills he taught us.

iclark

Ivan
User
"His legacy lives on in the skills he taught us."

Well put. He was always ready to pass along encouragement and knowledge in a way that made easy to learn.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Thirty years ago Myron gave me a method for driving a pressure treated 6x6 post. To this day I still use a variation on that concept for driving any work between centers. I often think of him when I mount a spindle blank on the lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS