ridgid Model TS3650 table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I went today and bought the table saw, I got a 20% off coupon plus no payments or interest to 2008.

Got it out the door for $440.

I will not be assy it for a few days, anyone have any words of advice before i start?

Any problem with the assy. or setting it up the blade and rails so they are squared?

rick7938

New User
Rick
That's a terrific price, John. I've heard and read that the 3650 is a great saw. I always buy stuff that I need from the Lowes or Home Depot on 12 months same as cash. Might as well use their money as mine.

The only trick that I learned when putting together my new table saw with big cast iron wings is to put the center bolt in each wing first and then you can rotate the wings level with the table and insert the other two bolts. I think that I read that trick on this forum, but can't remember. Anyway it worked. Good luck with you new saw. I really enjoy my new one, and I am confident that you will enjoy yours just as much.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I recommend you go to Ridge Tool Company, Home of RIDGID Professional Plumbing Tools and Power Tools and check out the general woodworking, ask the experts, and tips & techniques forums. If you register, you can use the search function (type in TS3650) There are a lot of threads there concerning the 3650 assembly, and also the included Herc-U-Lift. I had no problems assembling mine with the enclosed instructions (altho I did stand it upright before installing the cast iron wings as I was doing by myself. The directions have you installing them with the saw upside down and then getting assistance to stand it upright). There is an on-line instruction manual that others have said is clearer than the enclosed one, but I have not looked at it.
Other than addressing any specific questions you may have as they arise, I would suggest you ensure you have both the metric and standard wrenches needed for the bolts. There is a combination of both.
Oh yeah, those three square headed bolts with nuts that will be left over after assy are to mount an auxiliary fence face if you decide to. (probably the most commonly asked question).
One caution: If you make or purchase a ZCI for it, I would not use the procedures in the manual for making the cut through it. There are several safer and easier methods.
IMHO its a great saw for the price, and I hope you enjoy using yours as much as I do mine.

Go

R

rickc

I would suggest reading the installation guide. Then reading it again, and one more time. That is not meant to be an obnoxious answer, but when I was trying to decide which saw to get, I got a soft copy of the manual, printed and read it. By the time I got the saw, I was quite comfortable with the assembly.

Mine went quite well, and no significant problems. What problems there were came about when trying to install the cast iron table tops. I thought it was a good idea to them on the floor and tighten everything down without trying to balance the tops! It worked VERY well, Then I had to get the saw right side up! Managed to do it, but it was a struggle and I kept having visions of the metal sides bending. Didn't happen, but I was nervous! I had very little adjustment to make with my blade and fence. It essentially went together square. Probably if I had not have read all of the stuff on adjusting the saw, I would never have even checked it!

Congratulations on the great price! When I got mine, it was listed at $599, on sale for $549. I asked if they would take $500 for it, and they agreed. Kicker - they were offering a $100 gift card on all purchases greater than $499! Told myself I really got it for $400 because of the savings! Yours was a great deal!

jimwill48

James
Just got mine Sat ($549 - 10% plus no payments till Jan 08) and got it put togather Sun. My 1st suggestion: Download the manual from the Rigid Website, print it and go by that and not the manual that comes with the saw. The Online one is more detailed and up todate ( you will really love it when it comes the the Hec-u-Lift base. 2nd suggestion, assemble the base and the wings on the upper piece of styrfoam packing, this puts the saw about 5 inchs from the ground and maks tilting iy=t over and standing it up pretty easy. 3rd suggestion: Replace the supplied blade ASAP, its not very good ( going to use mine for a shop clock face).Other than that the saw goes togather pretty easy, took me about 4 hours. Almost no adjustments needed, very square right out of the box.

A great saw, wished I had bought it sooner rather than the BT3100 I bought 1st. The BT3100 is a good saw but it is light and to small for my needs. Only little issue, wished it had a slow start motor, it jerks pretty good when 1st started ( yes I have the motor mounted and st correctly, its just the play in the motor mount and spring) then smooth no vibration, pass's nickel test with no problem.

James

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
This is a great saw. I have had one for about a year and like most equipment, it is better at its job than I am at mine!!

A few things that I have had to do that I did not envision at first.

I did have to align the blade. It was slightly askew. I did have to align the fence, it too was slightly off. These things are not hard (you do have to get on your back and reach up to align the blade.

I made several zero clearance inserts out of ash. DO NOT BUY the RIGID zero clearance insert. It is garbage.

I bent the blade that came with my saw when I was trying to cut a full 3/4 sheet. (I admit to being thick headed) now I have several tables that I made to help with such things. I bought a thin kerf 60 tooth DIABLO and then a 60 tooth RIGID as I am getting the DIABLO sharpened. The thin kerf is noticeable.

My dust collection is R2D2 (a 20 year old shop vac with an enhanced motor).

I did convert mine to 220 volt mostly for power management in my shop. It works great that way. I have waxed the surface monthly and recently used an auto polishing compound to get some spots off.

I did make a cross cut sled as the miter attachment is only OK. I purchased the hold down clamp to go with the miter attachment and that helps but there is nothing as good as a cross cut sled.

Also I just purchase a Delta Tenon jig that I am setting up (see another post).

This may be more than you asked for but...

Good cutting and constantly count your fingers (BTW, Monty is a surgeon 'ya know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS