Respirator Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
I'm in the market for a new half face respirator. The one I've been using is an old school 3M with thread on filter canisters. It's heavy and uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend a P100 rated respirator that is light weight and comfortable to wear for hours at a time? I'm not against getting another 3M, but I wanted to hear what you folks are using and how you like it.

Thanks in advance!
Lonnie

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I use a 3M half mask with different cartridges depending on application. I've heard pretty good things about the North 7700 series, though I can't say how the weight compares.

FWIW the 3M 6200 series supposedly weighs in at less than 8 oz. with cartridges.

C.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
We use North's at work - both half and full face. I can't imagine that any of them would be comfortable for hours at a time. Have you thought about a "filtering facepiece" respirator? These are basically disposable respirators a step or so up from a construction dust mask. I know that they are available in N100 or p100. To save some $, you may want to go with an N rated respirator (P is a designation that it is effective against oil mists - this should not be a problem in woodworking). You can save even more going with an N95. Since wood dust is a fairly large particulate, N95s should be just as effective as a 100 rated respirator.

We also have a respirator at work that is sort of half way between a disposable mask and a half face. It has an elastomeric facepiece with an exhalation valve. It is reported to be very comfortable. Unfortunately I don't remember the model so I will have to get back to you tomorrow.

-Gary

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have a north respirator that I ordered through amazon from grainger (I think) that I love. It is light weight, takes many filter options (p95, p100, organic, etc) and is made from silicone vs. PVC so is very comfortable.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
IMHO, For comfort, silicone is better than neoprene.

IF you are only concerned about dust, one that allows the dust filter without the organic vapor one will mean considerably less weight. Example : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A8FP81CF9MXBZZR7TMB The advantage is less weight for dust use, but you can always add an organic filter for paint fumes, and additional mist filter for paint particles.

Disposable ones are lighter, but seldom fit correctly, allowing a lot of dust to enter around the leakage areas. Use only for the rated dusts.

As for proper fit, most problems occur around the nose. After use, when you take it off, if you are getting residue on the bridge of the nose, the respirator is too large. IF it is around the edges of the nostrils, the respirator is usually too small, or the straps are poorly adjusted.

JMTCW

Go

ehpoole

Ethan
To save some $, you may want to go with an N rated respirator (P is a designation that it is effective against oil mists - this should not be a problem in woodworking). You can save even more going with an N95. Since wood dust is a fairly large particulate, N95s should be just as effective as a 100 rated respirator.

Just to chime in here, but if one does spray finishing then oil mists can be an issue, so not entirely out of the realm of possibility in woodworking.

I use this 3M Mask half mask from lowes which is sold as a P95 kit with particulate and charcoal filters. You can purchase P100 or N100 filters for them if needed (you may find them at Lowes or you may need to order online... depends on your Lowes store). The cartridges are easily removed for storage in a Ziploc between uses. I have not had need to ever wear it for more than about an hour at a time so I can't speak as to the comfort level after many hours, but I have not found it to be at all uncomfortable.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
We also have a respirator at work that is sort of half way between a disposable mask and a half face. It has an elastomeric facepiece with an exhalation valve. It is reported to be very comfortable. Unfortunately I don't remember the model so I will have to get back to you tomorrow.

-Gary

Ok - looked it up. The North CFR-1 respirator is basically an hybrid having a elastomeric facepiece with inexpensive replaceable particulate filters. The filters are only available in 95 efficiency however for wood dusts that would not result in any less protection from a 99 or 100 efficiency rating. The folks at work that use these find them very comfortable to wear. Also, like I said in my last post, the P designation means that the filter is permissible for oil mists. Since this is not likely for wood dust, save yourself some money and buy the N rated filters.

Google North CFR-1 and you will get all the info that you need.

-G

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Just to chime in here, but if one does spray finishing then oil mists can be an issue, so not entirely out of the realm of possibility in woodworking.

Agreed! But then you would need a combo cartridge that provides organic vapor protection as well. You never want to use just a particulate filter for spray finishing (well, for powder coating I guess it would be ok)

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS