Resawing Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Hey, I've searched a bit on a couple forums as well as Youtube for general guidelines for resawing but seem to be coming up short with what I wish to learn. I do not have a ton of time to search right now and someone is asking for help resawing a some ~8-1/2" wide x 5/4 spanish cedar into 3/16 and 9/16 pieces. I have a Grizzly G0555P with the 6" riser and am planning on getting a 1/2" wood slicer blade just for this process.

Questions:
1. If I'm being told the 5/4 rough sawn board looks pretty straight then what process is recommended for getting this material down to its final finished thickness ?

2. Do I need him to get both faces planed smooth first, will just one face do so it can ride my bandsaw resaw fence (I need to build one), or is it even necessary to face at all prior to resawing since it’ll be planed later anyhow ?

3. Do I need to joint one edge that will ride the bandsaw table or just check for it being roughly square to ensure it’s not tilting a lot during the resawing ?

4. Are their general guidelines for resawing a 4/4. 5/4, 8/4, etc down to specific finished thicknesses after planning or is it all dependent upon how rough crooked and bowed a board is ?

a. Example: 5/4 typically planes down to a 7/8 finished board as I understand and a 4/4 down to 3/4” but if resawing then planning and I wish to get more than one width from a board then is there some general rule to ensure one leaves at least say 1/8” thickness per piece for planning and sanding thus giving me my resaw thickness to target ?
Thanks in advance as usual !

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
a. Example: 5/4 typically planes down to a 7/8 finished board as I understand and a 4/4 down to 3/4” but if resawing then planning and I wish to get more than one width from a board then is there some general rule to ensure one leaves at least say 1/8” thickness per piece for planning and sanding thus giving me my resaw thickness to target ?
Thanks in advance as usual !

A 5/4 board should be thick enough to clean up 1 1/16"---------most 5/4 will be 1 3/8" thick in the rough, at least it used to be when I worked for a mill work company. I would face one side on the jointer taking light cuts until it is cleaned up then joint one edge square to that face and then run it through the planer to clean up the remaining rough face, again taking light cuts each pass. The clean edge should be square to both faces at this point. Go to the band saw and resaw with that clean edge on the table. It will depend on how well the band saw is set up as to how accurate the resawing will be.

Hope this has helped some. Jerry

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Sorry one more thing. I only have a 6" jointer and he has an 8-1/2" wide board so if face jointing is needed first how is this done (same issue even w/ an 8" jointer) ? Remove blade guard, slide fence forward in order to face ~4-1/2" then rotate the board and face the remaining 4" ? However, this could present tear out issues if grain direction is critical on this piece...

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
1) At the very least you want the face that will be riding your bandsaw's face or pivot bar to be perfectly flat. However, you really also want the opposite to have also been planed flat and parallel to the opposite face so that you get a consistent thickness from one end to the other while resawing. Otherwise the thickness of the off cut piece could vary significantly if the starting board was not planed to a consistent thickness over its length. For example, if you only jointed one side of a bowed board with a 1/4" bow then each end of your off cut piece might be 1/2" thick but the middle might only be 1/4" thick, which might render it unusable spending upon what you were expecting to get out of the cut.

2) Following #1, you do ideally want the starting board jointed on one face and then planed parallel to that face to ensure you get a consistent thickness when you resaw. Otherwise thickness may vary considerably over the length of the board. In fact, ideally you re-plane the face of the source timber prior to each resaw operation so that you always have one clean face on the off cut piece and to remove any waviness in the previous resaw operation as one seldom makes a perfectly smooth resaw cut from one end of a long board to another (particularly not without a bit of practice since you often have to keep steering the board along the way to maintain a consistent thickness since the blade will sometimes try to follow the grain or may have a drift angle to it, hence why pivot bars are often mounted to a fence for resawing longer boards as they permit the operator to continually adjust the blade's path.

3) It is highly desirable to joint at least the one edge that rides the table as you want to be able to feed the timber smoothly through the blade without it hanging on the leading edge of the table. The last thing you want to have to do is fight with a timber (especially if a large and heavy timber) that keeps getting hung up on the table.

4) The degree of board imperfections will greatly influence your choice in terms of resawn thickness as will your project's tolerance for a board that is not perfectly flat, as can the wood's original cut type (flatsawn is much more likely to cup than rift or quartersawn, for example). The more defects you start out with and/or the more concern you have that the wood may change its shape after resawing due to the sudden change in humidity that the formerly interior wood is now exposed to as well as the degree to which a perfectly flat board matters to your project the more excess material you will want to leave on each cut to allow for later jointing and planing operations. In fact, after resawing it is best to wait a few days to a week, or more, after resawing before jointing and planing the new bords to allow the new boards to acclimate to your shop -- especially if you do not control the humidity level in your shop year round (I keep my shop between 40-50% year round with a dehumidifier to reduce wood movement, rusting, and to make for a more comfortable shop) -- especially for flatsawn lumber as such is highly prone to movement due to its grain and ring orientation (the end grain often tells a board's story and how it is likely to react to changes in moisture).

5) The best guideline is to leave as much excess as practical and the thicker the board you desire the more you will typically want to leave. But this is more an art than any hard and fast rule and you will have to learn when the rules may be broken to a degree and when they must not (it is always better to have extra wood on hand because wood is an imperfect medium even if you seemingly do everything right).

In your case you will have a board that starts out somewhere between 1-1/8" and 1-5/16" since it is 5/4 lumber, and you want to get 12/16", or 3/4", of material out of that board. But remember that we have not accounted for thickness lost to jointing and planing the starting timber flat and parallel, the kerf of the resaw blade (and any error in your resawing, which there will be some), plus you will need enough remaining material to possibly rejoint each new board if they undergo movement in the following days plus the needed thickness to then plane them flat and parallel. Whether you can get the two pieces you seek out of the one board you will start with will depend entirely upon the aforementioned knowns and unknowns -- you might be able to and you might not depending upon how perfect the board both starts out as (in other words, if little material needs to be removed the more likely you are, and vice versa), how perfect your resaw cut is and how wide the blade kerf, followed by how much the wood may move afterwards.

You stand a decent chance of getting the two boards you desire provided the final jointed and planed source timber is as close to a true 5/4" (1-1/4") as practical, but if it gets anywhere near 1" then you are taking a big risk trying to get 3/4" of finished boards with only 1/4" of sacrificial material for the resaw kerf and jointing and planing operations as you might find yourself with less than 3/32" of leeway to work with assuming a 1/16" blade kerf, and that is very risky for flatsawn lumber and/or an inexperienced operator.

Typically, for boards under 1/4" I prefer to leave at last 1/8" of added thickness to work with, around 3/16" for 1/2" thick boards, and at least 1/4", or more, for boards 3/4" and thicker to ensure adequate material remains for later planing and jointing operations. I also like to wait a few days if possible to allow any final acclimating even though my shop is humidity controlled, non humidity controlled shops may wish to wait a week or two before planing to final dimensions, planing equal amounts off each face of the board.

But it really is more art than hard rules as there are times when you may be able to cut things more closely and times when you should not, and it is not always clear ahead of time how much you can push things until after the resawing is done...so it is best to err on the side of leaving more and avoiding leaving too little sacrificial thickness unless you have plenty of wood to spare. Still, sometimes it is best not to resaw at all as you may find yourself with one, or more, of the boards being too thin for your project if you try to get them all out of one board to begin with.

On a related note, most typical 14" bandsaws are really not setup well for resawing wide boards and even their original 6" height can sometimes be a bit optimistic for any real amount of resawing (hence risers are not really an ideal upgrade if one has resawing in mind as they are already underpowered with the typical 3/4HP motor). Resawing takes a good bit of tension and requires a good bit of power out of the motor due to the amount of teeth in continual contact with the wood and the amount of waste material that needs to be continually removed. You can get through the resaw operation but it can be very slow going and tedious depending upon the wood species and you might get some burning or burnishing of the wood if sawing slows down too much. You generally want a fair bit of tension when resawing wide boards to avoid barrel cuts but not all 14" bandsaws can safely deliver the required tension without either twisting of the main column (especially with added riser installed) or potential damage to the upper wheel tracking adjustment mechanism, which is often just a simple pot metal piece prone to catastrophic failure if the tension is ever dialed too high (Zinc is a strong but bery brittle metal and behaves a lot like glass under stress). So if you want to do much resawing in the future then you may wish to look into a larger bandsaw for resawing and use the 14" bandsaw for those jobs it most excels at (they are really the "jack of all trades" bandsaw and well suited to many other tasks, just not resawing wide lumber whereas larger bandsaws excel at resawing but are not good "jack of all trades" bandsaws). But if resawing is something you expect to do very seldom then you may well get by with your existing bandsaw, particularly if you can avoid the harder woods that are more demanding.

Good luck! I wish you all the best as the ability to process large lumber into thinner dimensions as needed greatly expands your opportunities and allows one the option of buying much less expensive wood in the rough -- it can also be a lot of fun IMHO. Just make sure your friend knows that resawing is not a guaranteed outcome if the permitted buffer thickness is not sufficient and can potentially result in two undersized boards in such cases, but if the jointed and planed thickness of the starting lumber is close to 1-1/4" then you stand a good chance, but anything much less, and especially if it gets anywhere close to 1", then the operation is much higher "risk" due to an overly tight budget, you might get want you want and you might not! So long as he knows that going in then use both of your best judgement as to whether to proceed.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Sorry one more thing. I only have a 6" jointer and he has an 8-1/2" wide board so if face jointing is needed first how is this done (same issue even w/ an 8" jointer) ? Remove blade guard, slide fence forward in order to face ~4-1/2" then rotate the board and face the remaining 4" ? However, this could present tear out issues if grain direction is critical on this piece...

Joint the 6" you can with your jointer, then use a 6" wide, or greater, piece of MDF (you can also use jointed and planed solid lumber, but MDF is a quick substitute and is generally pretty true to thickness over its width) and place it under the jointed area to support the board. It is a good idea to attach a lip to the leading end of the MDF strip to unsure that it consistently tracks with the board on top and does not get left behind should the two try to slip past one another. Then gently plane the top side flat in small increments until flat, then flip the board over, minus the MDF, to flatten the jointed side until flat, then flip back over for a final shallow pass of the original top side to ensure that it is totally flat and true now that you no longer have an unsupported edge where the MDF could not extend to.

That is about the simplest way to joint a board that is wider than your jointer, provided you have an adequately wide thickness planer, but there are other techniques as well depending upon your preferences.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
RE: WoodSlicer Blades......

I heard at a workshop at Bill's, the there is another blade for resawing that is every bit as good if not better, but half the price of a WoodSlicer. Matter of fact, I just requested a quote for about 8 blades from them yesterday. Some for me, some for a friend. Check them out! The link below is to the Kerfmaster page. They have other types of blades as well.
NO relation to this company and I personally have no experience with them. I can't remember who it was but it was the workshop where we did stringing and saw some veneering.

Spectrum Supply
Kerkmaster blade for resawing

link: http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster-2.aspx

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Many thanks to all for all of the excellent input !

Ethan,
Many thanks for the excellent input ! I completely understand all of your points with regards to the resawing process but what I’m a little unsure of is what you mean on the jointing concept using the piece of MDF. Can you elaborate or have a link to pictures or a video as I’m a more visual learner if it’s something I’ve never done or seen before. I’ve seen the planer sleds for thin stock but never on a jointer for wider stock.

• I understand to remove my blade guard and face 6” of the 8-1/2” board based on my jointer’s capacity. When you say “place it (6” wide piece of MDF) under the jointed area to support the board”, what thickness does it need to be ? I only have ¾” thick MDF….

• Do I need to run the MDF over the jointer until it’s the same thickness as the amount I had to remove from the lumber ?
    • Is MDF hard on my new jointer blades ?
    • Sorry I just cannot see this set up in my mind and I have my jointer set to only take off 3/32 per pass so planning down MDF from ¾” would take a long time right ?

• When you say ,”It is a good idea to attach a lip to the leading end of the MDF strip to unsure that it consistently tracks…” I understand this concept but how do you attach it so it does not come off ? I can only envision a screw being strong enough (I thought MDF does not hold glue well for something like this)…

• Then I’m completely lost when you say:
    • “gently plane the top side flat in small increments until flat”; is this simply repeating what I did on the bottom face (only getting 6” removed and leaving 2-1/2” hanging ?
    • “then flip the board over, minus the MDF, to flatten the jointed side until flat”; I take this as being the original we’ll call bottom face but with 6” of this face already jointed and only 2-1/2” being flattened now, is this not going to want to teeter over when trying to remove the unplanned area ?
    • “then flip back over for a final shallow pass of the original top side to ensure that it is totally flat and true now that you no longer have an unsupported edge where the MDF could not extend to”; will grain direction not be reversed in this process resulting in tear out risk ? I’m really fuzzy on seeing this part of the process specifically…

I do not own a thickness planer yet (maybe next year) but my buddy just got one for Christmas good enough for an 8-1/2” wide board but there will be a lot of back and forth for the resawing process I now see…using his planer, then 45min away to my jointer and bandsaw then back to the planer then back to the bandsaw etc…

• When you say, “there are other techniques as well” can you elaborate or point me in the right direction unless it’s hand planning the thing which I do not have time for ?

Many thanks in advance as always !

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Ethan,
I took a quick search of your concept on LumberJocks and found a thread with pictures. Now I get it! I thought you were referring to the MDF being used on the jointer and the flipping of the board and what not on the jointer as well rather than on the planer. I misread.

Here's the link for others to see and this thread mentions this process is somewhere in one of Marc the Wood Whisperer's videos as well:
http://lumberjocks.com/tenontim/blog/26637

Thanks !

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Ethan,
I took a quick search of your concept on LumberJocks and found a thread with pictures. Now I get it! I thought you were referring to the MDF being used on the jointer and the flipping of the board and what not on the jointer as well rather than on the planer. I misread.

Here's the link for others to see and this thread mentions this process is somewhere in one of Marc the Wood Whisperer's videos as well:
http://lumberjocks.com/tenontim/blog/26637

Thanks !

I am glad you found a better description of the process as I had not had a chance to reply until now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and myself or others will usually respond within a day or so, if not much sooner. We all had to learn these things at one point and everyone learns a little differently, so please feel free to ask anything (there are no dumb questions about woodworking in this forum, that is a site policy). I know it can also be a little more nerve racking when doing a favor for a friend as you do not want to mess up your friend's project whereas messing up one's own project is just part of the learning process, but it is not as hard as it may seem even though there is some art to the process that you only acquire through practice -- it will be second nature after a bit and really expands your opportunities versus being limited to predimensioned and surfaced lumber.

You should be able to do all your required planing in just two trips, first to get the source board square and thicknessed and later to do the final thicknessing of the two resawn pieces after giving them some time to acclimate after resawing. If you will be resawing then you will definitely want to add a thickness planer to your collection as the bandsaw, jointer, and thickness planer are an indispensable tori when it comes time to resaw lumber.

To assist in resawing you may wish to draw a pencil line down the length of the board where your cut line will be (center the line with the center of the blade's kerf) to help you verify that your resaw operation is on track over the length of the board. It can also be helpful in keeping you on track if you resaw the first few inches of the timber and then stick a folded over sheet of paper in the resulting kerf (or folded several times if you need a tighter fit), you can then use that paper as a site line flag and if you look down the length of the board and keep that paper flag centered with your blade (so that the paper flag is largely hidden behind the blade's kerf) then you can more easily cut a straight line while still adjusting the board angle restive to the blade to compensate for any drift in your cut. This trick helps to greatly reduce the wavering in the cut line that results if you try to use the pencil line as your only gauge for steering the board, instead of trying to judge the straightness of your cut over a few inches just ahead of the blade you do so over a much greater length resulting in less wavering.

If you have not tweaked your saw and blade setup to either eliminate or compensate for a blade's natural drift angle (your choice of which) then I suggest using a pivot bar (a fulcrum) mounted to your fence so that you may steer the board to cut straight by varying the angle relative to the blade as you go. Some bandsaw's include such from the factory, or you may make or buy one if need be (they can even be made by cutting two 45-degree angles in the end of one, or more, 2x4s to create a picket fence like point to act as your fulcrum, then stack multiple such boards atop one another to get the height you need for your fulcrum/fence). The pivot/fulcrum point should be roughly in lline with the teeth of the blade (not the center of the blade) so that you can easily pivot your angle as needed to steer things. I also like to use a tall (about 4") featherboard, that is really two featherboard stacked with a wide spacer in between, setup to so that the featherboard is roughly centered with the pivot point (or just ahead of the blade if using a bare fence without the pivot bar) and applying modest pressure (not too much) to hold the board I am cutting snug to the fence as this helps to ensure an even thickness across the board's height without me having to maintain side pressure for the cut (which is very helpful with longer boards).

Which reminds me, before you start resawing, verify that your blade and fence are truly at a right angle to the table, if not then adjust the angle of your table or fence until everything is square -- overlooking that detail can really create later complications if you are already cutting things close and without a lot of buffer material to sacrifice as you can end up with one side of the board thinner than the other (and possibly too thin on one side).

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Thanks for the additional thoughts. I'll certainly be using a fresh wood slicer blade and resetting up my bandsaw and practicing on some tall scrap pieces to ensure everything is running right and I've compensated for any set up issues / drift. I'll see once set up if I need a pivot fence or if it's running straight enough for a tall DIY resaw fence.

thanks again !

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Questions:
1. If I'm being told the 5/4 rough sawn board looks pretty straight then what process is recommended for getting this material down to its final finished thickness ?
All board thicknesses are measured off the sawmill before shrinkage. So most 5/4 material can be anywhere from 1 to 1 1/8" after drying, depending on the species and drying method. If the board is quite straight, most 5/4 material would be expected to yield a 1" thick board.

The usual milling process is like this:
1. Joint one face flat
2. Joint 1 edge square to face
3. Rip to desired width
4. Thickness plane

However for resawing, you only need 1 flat face and 1 square edge so only steps 1 and 2 are necessary.

3. Do I need to joint one edge that will ride the bandsaw table or just check for it being roughly square to ensure it’s not tilting a lot during the resawing ?
Yes. It is critical to have a square face/edge so the board feeds accurately. It is also critical to have a fence at least 75% as tall as the board and keep a lot of pressure against the fence when cutting.

You also need to determine if your saw has any drift and adjust the fence for that to get a good cut.

4. Are their general guidelines for resawing a 4/4. 5/4, 8/4, etc down to specific finished thicknesses after planning or is it all dependent upon how rough crooked and bowed a board is ?
If the board is pretty flat you can expect to lose 1/8" after milling.

Short answer is Yes it depends on the flatness of the stock. For example if an 8/4 board had enough bow, you could actually end up with a 3/4" thick board by the time you're done.

When resawing for 1/2" drawer sides, I want to have two resawn boards at about 5/8 to allow for jointing so I start with 5/4 material. You also have to realize that resawing opens up the inside (wetter) part of the wood and therefore can result in some pretty dramatic wood movement. Always sticker the boards for a couple days before you do additional milling. I usually use clamps, tape or some weights on the stack.

Hope this helps & good luck.

PS if you've never resawn before do some practice cuts before you go for the gusto!

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Ethan & DrBob - perfect help !

Many thanks and I'll be sure to file this info away in my brain from now on !.....since my brain is full I'll have to delete some other stuff from memory :cool:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I've got a little experience with resawing in the G0555p with 6" riser block installed. I have found this thread by Dan (danmart77) to be very informative - there are many other threads here on the board with great information. Here is what I have found to work well for me:

1. I use a 5/8" 3H blade for resaw on the G0555. In theory you could go up to a 3/4, but I think the tension required to use a 3/4" puts too much strain on a 14" bandsaw. Be sure the blade is sharp.
2. Check and re-check the blade and guide setup. Guides should be set so that the front of the guide is just at the buttom of the gullets.
3. I use a "point" fence like Dan's. This gives me more control, especially if there is any drift in the blade.
4. Definitely joint the "down" edge and at least the face toward the fence if you can. If the material is "skip" planed by the supplier, that should be good enough for the face since you dont have a wide enough jointer or a planer.
5. Double check that the table is at 90 deg to the blade.
6. Feed slow and take your time, remember that the blade has to clear ALOT of sawdust from the kerf - especially with 8+ inch material. The Spanish Cedar is relatively soft, so it should resaw pretty well.

Hope that helps,
C.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'll echo DrBob (rwe) on this point: after you have resawn a board, it not unusual to see *significant* movement in the wood, e.g. cupping. If you need flat square stock for your project, plan on letting the wood rest (equalize) for a day or two, then re-joint and plane.

I wish I had a picture of the soft maple that I resawed a couple days ago..within 30 minutes of finishing the cut, each piece had cupped about 1/4" across 8" width.

Some other tips: when resawing, it's a good idea to add an extra clamp to your fence unless you are certain the factory clamping mechanism can take the side-pressure during feeding.

Practice consistent feed-speed. If you start and stop e.g. to find a push stick or find a new hand-position, the blade isn't under a consistent load and can give you deep saw marks or wander off the cutting line.

Don't get your hands anywhere near the blade. Resawing means you'll have a lot of blade exposed and be applying considerable feed pressure..if there's a sudden change in feed pressure (like finishing the cut or void/crack in the wood) you don't want to over balance and stick your hand in the blade. I keep my hands close to my body and push with my entire upper body until the end of board is close to the edge of the bandsaw-table - then I switch to a wooden pushstick.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS