Reported Post by CaptnA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
CaptnA has reported a post.

Reason:
dang I'm feeling like the post police now.
If he had a valid question or seemed to be interested is one thing, but I felt he was just making fun of the poster.
Forum: Off Topic
Assigned Moderators: ScottM, TracyP

Posted by: woodworker2000
Original Content:
Does anyone have any idea what this person is trying to say? http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2281926423.html. Maybe they should have placed their Craigslist ad before hitting the crack pipe.

sell cutting - $120 (smithfield )

Date: 2011-03-23, 1:20PM EDT
Reply to: sale-3bqkf-2281926423@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

hi i am selling this clipper will not take I think is very important not my husband used them and I really thing you need is to sell for personal reasons I am asking 120 for all of you the best wing I can repair it or I can and I have only good time interested call me at 919 9126215 and not catch on fire or how they work so I can not give much information about them will know that just coming tap to new look

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3na3k23m45Z55W45P1b3nde714cfbe13d1ee7.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Honestly one to watch but they have not crossed any lines IMHO. The CL ad is weird for sure.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I unapproved the thread, the drug refence and sexual overture posts crossed a line. I sent the following PM to Chris:

"Christopher,

With the content of the CL ad and the reference to drug use in you post this thread is being closed for review.

Thanks,
Gary"

Someone clue me in is unapproving a soft delete or should the thread be deleted? Get confused everytime I try to get that soft delete done. Oh and if anyone thinks the thread is ok to let go we can reopen it.

Gary

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
When you delete a thread always choose soft delete. That way it does not sit in moderation cue. It can still be restored if needed.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Christopher's response:

"Gary, I am laughing out loud right now and nearly fell out of my chair at the frivolity of your censorship. You really find my "reference to drug use" offensive? That's a good one. Funny how I've never seen a thread censored for references to "adult beverages", for suggesting it is okay to cut a burl off of a tree "in the woods" (i.e. trespassing on land you don't own and stealing someone else's property), or, more recently, suggesting to people (and bragging about doing it) that a 10% off coupon to Lowe's could be obtained from the Post Office under false pretenses (by representing, suggesting, or otherwise implying that you are moving). Selective enforcement at its finest. "

I am thinking that no response is required here, any thoughts.:dontknow:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
From the broken text I'd say someone not native to North America. Probably an Asian lady not very fluent in the language.
Christopher does raise some valid points, though. I believe we've taken the position in the past to cut burls only with permission of the landowner, and to drink responsibly. Nonetheless we can't police the personal actions of 5,000 + members.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
After changing the thread to a soft delete(thanks Tracy) i received the following PM from Chris

"NCTurner-

I'm torn to pieces over this news. I just hope I can sleep tonight. My only comfort is knowing that there is an entire staff dedicated to protecting the public from such harmful postings.
:rotflm: (this one deserves a double) :rotflm:"

Unreal!!!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Every time I read one of these responses from jerks like Chris it incenses me. I'm sure it's wrong of me to write the previous sentence too, calling names and such. But I take it very personally when people lash out at the staff for doing our job. So, I'm taking my frustration out here instead of publicly. Sorry.

I can't say I agree with the action to moderate the thread but it's immaterial. The level of disrespect toward Gary is unacceptable and in no means warranted. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this in an appropriate manner? It just doesn't feel right ignoring it.

Barbara

Glennbear

Glenn
Every time I read one of these responses from jerks like Chris it incenses me. I'm sure it's wrong of me to write the previous sentence too, calling names and such. But I take it very personally when people lash out at the staff for doing our job. So, I'm taking my frustration out here instead of publicly. Sorry.

I can't say I agree with the action to moderate the thread but it's immaterial. The level of disrespect toward Gary is unacceptable and in no means warranted. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this in an appropriate manner? It just doesn't feel right ignoring it.

Barbara

As hard as it is to do at times I have learned that sometimes we just have to ignore the ignorant amongst us. My mother has a favorite saying that methinks fits here "An empty barrel makes the most noise". :wsmile:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Barb, It would do no good to respond to Chris, it will just feed the fire. It seems that we have had this kind of dealings w/ him before. I just deleted his post referencing this one...lets see what it gets me. I could use some entertainment.

My mother has a favorite saying that methinks fits here "An empty barrel makes the most noise". :wsmile:

Glenn....what a great line! I'll have to remember it!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Amazing how some things can get blown so out of proportion.
Some people can't say ok, let stuff go, and move on.

I thought the initial thread violated the posting rules because it seems the entire intent of copying the post from Craigslist and posting it here was to make fun of someone maliciously. That to me is a personal attack, whether they are a member here or not. I personally found it harsh and offensive. It served no purpose on this site. It wasn't a joke, or lighthearted. I probably ought to have put that in my flagging.
Honestly I was a little taken back by a few things regarding this whole thing. Live and learn. And to those that this has upset or caused problems, I am sorry.

Moderators - You all do an admirable job. All too often unseen and thankless. Just know that you and what you do is/are appreciated!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Andrew,

After reading your explanation I looked at the situation a little differently. I think the main thing is if it offends you it likely offends others. You were correct in my opinion to report the thread based on your interpretation.

Barbara

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Amazing how some things can get blown so out of proportion.
Some people can't say ok, let stuff go, and move on.

I thought the initial thread violated the posting rules because it seems the entire intent of copying the post from Craigslist and posting it here was to make fun of someone maliciously. That to me is a personal attack, whether they are a member here or not. I personally found it harsh and offensive. It served no purpose on this site. It wasn't a joke, or lighthearted. I probably ought to have put that in my flagging.
Honestly I was a little taken back by a few things regarding this whole thing. Live and learn. And to those that this has upset or caused problems, I am sorry.

Moderators - You all do an admirable job. All too often unseen and thankless. Just know that you and what you do is/are appreciated!

Andrew, I understand where you are coming from, my take was a bit different. I thought the references to crack where a bit over the top, while the phrase is in common usage, it was my opinion that it didn't belong on the site. There was also the beginning of some sexual undertones, that are against site policy, regardless of how mild. These were what prompted my actions to delete the thread. I really thought that Christopher overreacted, the thread was a complete nonsense thread, even in the OT forum, not that every post I make is sensible:rotflm:, but this one was crossing lines. Frankly I found his retorts a bit lacking ergo, not even wasting my time to reply. Eh:dontknow: some people...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Next time someone throws a rant at you, just give a good ol' southern reply of, "Bless ya heart.... Feel bettah now?" :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors