Repair of Dresser Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Hope that is is not the wrong forum, but I need some advice on repairing the top to a dresser.

My parents bought a bedroom suite for me in the early 50's that appears to be maple. The top consists of glued up boards forming a panel. The top is attached to the case with screws driven in from the bottom. One of the boards has separated from the others because it appears that one of the screws that holds the top to the case was driven into a seam. The pressure of the screw, over the years, has caused the glue seam to fail. The separation is about 9 " long and 1/16" wide at its widest point at the edge.

My question: If I remove the screw from the top, do you think that regular yellow glue will hold the seam closed after it is clamped properly and allowed to dry, or is 1/16" too much to hope for. You can close the gap with thumb pressure, so I am hoping that glue and clamps will do the job. Comments or suggestions? Thanks.

M

McRabbet

If you can close the gap with thumb pressure, then your plan to glue and clamp it should work. I'd use a toothpick to be sure to distribute glue uniformly to the wood on both sides of the gap and then clamp the gap closed. Wipe off any squeeze out with a clean damp rag and leave for 24 hours to insure a full cure. I would leave the screw out of that location if the top is secure; else, drill a new pilot hole an inch away and rescrew the top.

Rob

BobN

New User
Bob
If it was me I'ld run the top thro the table saw where the boards in the top are separated. Now you have 2 clean surfaces to glue together, and the top is only an 1/8" more narrow then before.

I don't think you'll be able to get the joint clean enough for the glue to hold for any length of time without separating the boards.

Bob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That I won't argue. I tried to do a cutting board, and it failed miserably. Yellow glue on yellow glue may work, but most times does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS