repair holes in particle board

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I need to fill in the area shown in the picture. I need it to be sturdy enough so I can replace a metal leg . The leg has four screws and supports a TS out feed table.

IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
What Mike said, and mix in some fibers. Glass if you have it handy, wood of you don’t. Thickened epoxy will hold fasteners pretty well. I use it in boats to attach hardware. I wax the fastener and set it into the epoxy. when it sets you can unscrew the fastener from the perfectly formed threads. WEST Systems has a table somewhere that shows strengths of various fasteners and epoxy combinations.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
My recommendation would be to fill the holes as suggested. Then use through bolts to fasten the legs. Carriage bolts or furniture connector bolts would yield a much stronger outcome than screws.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
OR, if you have some scrap material laying around why not route out the offending area and glue in a patch. Then you can reattach the leg and move forward.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
OR, if you have some scrap material laying around why not route out the offending area and glue in a patch. Then you can reattach the leg and move forward.
just trying to be faithful to the original material (glue and scraps). you know, preservation and all...

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
And

I was trying to go from point A to B fast and cheap.
I might not be typical, I always have some WEST SYSTEM epoxy on the shelf. For me that is the fast and cheap solution.
Understanding if you don't have it, the price of entry is steep for a job like this !

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might not be typical, I always have some WEST SYSTEM epoxy on the shelf. For me that is the fast and cheap solution.
Understanding if you don't have it, the price of entry is steep for a job like this !
Yep!

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Bought the 52" Unisaw, with mobile base, in 1994. At this time I had never even turned on a TS. So bigger had to be better, right. Soon realized an out feed table was needed. Because of limited space, and skill, I bought the Delta out feed table with folding leg. Worked just fine until I moved everything around and found I only needed to drop the table half way. Did not think about the stress on the connection. The 4 screws finally pulled out.

Hence my post on solving the problem. The particle board issue caused about some doubt for me.

I decided to move the TS a little so I would not need to drop the out feed. I took statics in college, yes I can remember that far back, so I figured with the sideways stress removed I could use the simple solution offered by Richard, Graywolf.

I routed 2 rectangular holes, cut 2 pieces of walnut and glued them in place. I attached the leg to the bottom of the out feed table, and reinstalled the out feed table. Saved about 1.5 hours in travel time and did not spend any money.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bought the 52" Unisaw, with mobile base, in 1994. At this time I had never even turned on a TS. So bigger had to be better, right. Soon realized an out feed table was needed. Because of limited space, and skill, I bought the Delta out feed table with folding leg. Worked just fine until I moved everything around and found I only needed to drop the table half way. Did not think about the stress on the connection. The 4 screws finally pulled out.

Hence my post on solving the problem. The particle board issue caused about some doubt for me.

I decided to move the TS a little so I would not need to drop the out feed. I took statics in college, yes I can remember that far back, so I figured with the sideways stress removed I could use the simple solution offered by Richard, Graywolf.

I routed 2 rectangular holes, cut 2 pieces of walnut and glued them in place. I attached the leg to the bottom of the out feed table, and reinstalled the out feed table. Saved about 1.5 hours in travel time and did not spend any money.
Glad I could help. I hope the repair lasts longer then all of us.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS