Removing Mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, got the first boxes of my shop moved into their new home today. Took a peek in a few, and my nose noticed that the box of "fresh" turning blanks was a bit moldy. I'm airing them outside for now, but was wondering ... how should deal with these? Should I remove the mold? If so, how?

gator

George
Corporate Member
For mold around the house I've always used a Clorox solution. You might spray them with that.

George

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Dawn dishwashing detergent and very hot water, scrub well and rinse.

We had some mold in the basement of our next home and had an environmental testing company to check it out. They said NOT to use bleach. The bleach will kill most of the mold but does not remove it and some of the spores will survive only to re-emerge when you least expect it.

Washing with Dawn and very hot water removes all of the mold. Rinse well and set in sun to dry thoroughly before repacking away. Discard any cardboard boxes that contain mold.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
+1 On Mike's suggestion.

Also you have to remember that mold is a spore and will if given the time and right way will reoccur. I have always been told that Clorox does an excellent job at bleaching the mold and removing the color but don't kill it totally.

The way Mike stated is the way to clean it unless you have a company come in and do it for you. Be sure to wear a mask and gloves and for those that have a beard or other facial hair be sure to cover it completely.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't know if this will help, but when in FL, the guys pressure cleaning houses always added Jomax to their bleach to make it more effective in killing mold/mildew. I have know idea what it consists of or if it will do a better job. Lowes sells it IIRC.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS