Remote Controlled Switch Socket 3 Pack $15.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like a pretty good deal. Would work well for lighting, etc.

The remote uses a 23A 12 volt battery which is not included.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
These things are great! I have them hooked up to my dust collection system and keep the remote on my rip fence. It is so much more convenient to pick it up and turn on the system while at the saw than to have to walk over the the DCS and turn it on. And this is a good buy, as I paid 3 X that much for mine.
Jim in Mayberry

Glennbear

Glenn

Thank you for pointing out the amperage limitation. On a trip to AL a while back I picked up a 2 pack of a similar remote switch. When I returned home I hooked up my shop built air cleaner and promptly fried one of the switches. :BangHead: These can be used with higher amp draw devices but a relay would need to be placed inline. Careful shopping for the relay may enable one to operate an air cleaner or DC remotely using these switches at a cost less than the commercial remote DC switches. :wsmile:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Glenn,
Care to share a step by step of how to do this? A lot of folks have the 2hp HF DC and it's rated a 20amp max.

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn,
Care to share a step by step of how to do this? A lot of folks have the 2hp HF DC and it's rated a 20amp max.

I ended up replacing my shop built air cleaner with a commercial one with a built in remote so I never did the relay thing. A while back McRabett posted a thread about using a relay in a circuit which included a link to a relay source. I will search for it but in the interim perhaps he will chime in. I bookmarked the relay source link but it is currently buried in my collection of 90 bazillion bookmarks. :rotflm:

M

McRabbet

I ended up replacing my shop built air cleaner with a commercial one with a built in remote so I never did the relay thing. A while back McRabett posted a thread about using a relay in a circuit which included a link to a relay source. I will search for it but in the interim perhaps he will chime in. I bookmarked the relay source link but it is currently buried in my collection of 90 bazillion bookmarks. :rotflm:
While I also have the remotes that Ken Massingale quoted in the post following Glenn's, here is the link to the Fasco H230B Relay that can be used for any higher amperage switching using one of these low amperage 120 V remote outlets. Mount the H230B in a junction box and feed 240 V leads (L1 & L2) to the large lugs to the right and left side (or if using 120 V at > 10 Amps, feed the hot lead of the device through one of those pairs of contacts to switch it). Then cut the receptacle end of an extension cord and feed the white and black to the coil leads (seen in the picture just under the product label) and plug the male end into your remote outlet. You can also buy other sizes and coil voltages through this same source.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Be careful of the ratings of those switches. Many are only designed and rated for "resistive loads"- meaning lights, coffee makers, etc.. If they can handle "inductive loads"- meaning motors, the rating is usually a lot less. Resistive loads are fairly constant, but most inductive loads are not- a motor rated at 10 amps, FLA (full load amps) may draw 20 amps or more briefly during start-up, and that is what usually fries the contacts (or solid state circuit) in those inexpensive remote switches.

I checked the links and no where does it say these are rated for inductive loads. The best bet is to use it with a contactor relay like Rob mentioned.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Just as an FYI, Klingspor has the real thing, 120 or 220, for $45, with 2 remotes. This is a fantastic price, with the DQ discount it's hardly worth building something.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/1CD3475B/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?loadItem=WK33460

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/0735A055/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?loadItem=WK30380

They are not the ones pictured, but the last time I was there, the Raleigh Klingspor store also had the ShopFox remote- which has been recalled due to electrical problems.

M

McRabbet

They are not the ones pictured, but the last time I was there, the Raleigh Klingspor store also had the ShopFox remote- which has been recalled due to electrical problems.
The CPSC recall covered fewer than 500 of these remote switches made between July 2008 and June 2009 that had a defective circuit board. I have had one for more than ten years that has run flawlessly and I'm certain that all of the recalled ones have been replaced with corrected units. It is a very good remote. and comes with two remote transmitters with adjustable codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS