Refinishing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So after I get time to get the poly off my tables, see this thread... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13526 , I'm wondering what I should refinish with. Since I'm sure the tables will continue to get abused I was thinking I'd use something easy to repair this time. Do you think simple oil or shellac finish would do? Obviously it won't be very resistant to many things but I'm thinking I'll be continually repairing anyways. At least it will be much easier in the future to do so. It's mostly scratches and gouges that even poly was no match for. The slab top is over two inches thick so it can take alot of sanding. :gar-Bi. Any advice besides giving my kid up for adoption? Thanks!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Peter,

I refinished the kitchen table 3 or 4 years ago. I sanded down to the wood and applied a tinted finish (Minwax). After sufficient drying time, I started adding layers of Minwax wipe-on poly. I think I put 8 thin coats on. I just barely rubbed the surface with 320 grit between each coat. It still looks pretty good.

Ray

M

McRabbet

Peter,

Check the answers in this thread. It includes what I'd recommend for a potentially highly stressed tabletop like yours.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Shellac isn't going to hold up to much abuse. I would go the Polyurethane route or a precat finish if you have spray equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS