Refinishing Desk Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
My neighbor wants me to refinish a desk chair of her grandmothers it is from the early 1900's somewhere around 1920 according to her, I have not turned it over to see if there are any markings on the bottom or not. I really hate to get rid of all the history that is in it. It is nice and worn on the arms and feet but I think she wants it to look nice and new. SO....... My question is what is the best way to go about refinishing this. I have not ever refinished a piece.

Do I sand it down to bare wood and the go for it like a normal finish? Do I wet sand it? Any advice would be appreciated.. I have not commited to doing it yet, I am going to wait and see if they ask again. I just want to be prepared if they do ask.

Kevin

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
When I do that type of work I make a mixture of Mineral Spirits, DNA, Lacquer Thinner, grab some steel wool and start scrubbing. That will leave some hint of wear but clean up all the old finish. Put on a coat of Seal-Coat and top coat with your finish of choice.

pete

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I have refinished several family heirloom pieces and felt the same way about them. I wanted to keep the patina, but somehow improve the looks of them. Just before I was to start sanding the first piece, a cedar chest, I watched a demonstration of Formby's finish remover at a fair. It looked very simple to use, removed only the finish and dirt, and made it very easy to put on a new finish without sanding or removing any of the old dents and patina that the piece had acquired in it's lifetime.

Using the Formby's product, you simply rub off the finish with a steel wool pad kept wet with the Formby's finish remover (you should wear rubber gloves and work outside). You just keep scrubbing and rinsing the finish out of the steel wool working small areas at a time like you would scrub a floor with a sponge and a bucket of soap and water. When all of the finish has been removed you repeat the process with clean solution and a new steel wool pad to clean off any remaining finish residue. Then you wait a day or two to let the piece dry before applying the new finish. No sanding is necessary unless a repair has to be made. It's really easy.

I have now refinished the cedar chest, a dresser, and a rocker, all without doing any sanding. They all look clean and well taken care of, but still have all of the patina that they acquired in their life and my wife has accepted them into our home with no reservations.

Charley

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks for the information guys. That is a big help. If she brings it up again I will talk to her about keeping the patina. It has some great wear lines and bumps and bruises that should stay visible. If I end up taking on the job I will take pics and post.

As for a finish what do your recomend just a tung oil or blo? I will get some seal coat and make sure to do that first and then put the finish on top.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
As for a finish what do your recomend just a tung oil or blo? I will get some seal coat and make sure to do that first and then put the finish on top.

I'd say for a chair you might want more protection than straight oil. A wipe on poly is easy to apply and can be rubbed out to whatever luster you like.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS