Refinishing chest of drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I worked in screen printing for about 15 years and back then we didn't use gloves or respirators, so I got a major dose of chemical, had to quit that career and still have sensitivities to certain chemicals. I can't walk down the detergent isle in a grocery store without gasping for air.

So, furniture stripper is out of the question for me. I learned how to use a card scraper to remove old furniture finishes including paint.

We bought these two chests at a used furniture store about 15 years ago for $10 each. I redid the other one but we moved and didn't have a shop for a while, then the kids were using this chest and I finally got around to working on it.

IMG_02451.JPG

A well tuned card scraper can make fine thin shavings.

IMG_02362.JPG

Yeah it's more work than chemical paint stripper, but this works for me.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
What ever gets the job done :icon_thum I know what you mean about the detergent isle - it really tears us up as well - if we use anything that has a scent to it - it is on the low side of the scale - even the oil paint that we are using to paint a ladies house gives me a sinus headache:tongue2:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I can apply the chemical stripper and wipe it off, if that will help you along. Of course, then you'd have to let it air out a few days, I guess.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can still smell it weeks after it is gone. It soaks down into the wood, sanding the residue makes me sick.

I'm over half way done just this weekend.

I mostly wanted to show another use for card scrapers and how effective they are when the hook is turned well.

But thanks for the offer!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Mike,

This product is supposed to be chemical free. Made from soybeans. We have a bottle but have only cleaned up some cabinet handles with it so far. Works good.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Routes of Entry: Ingestion, eyes and skin contact.
Health Hazards: May cause moderate eye irritation. May cause delayed skin irritation.
May be harmful if swallowed in large amounts.
Carcinogenicity: Not listed by NTP, IARC, OSHA.
Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated By Exposure: Preexisting skin disorders.
Eye Contact: May cause eye irritation.
Skin Contact: Chronic skin contact may cause primary irritant dermatitis.

Thanks for the info.
I think I'll stick to what has worked for me and proved to be safe for the last fifteen years.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing what works for you Mike. :icon_thum Because of an old injury I do not have the hand strength I once did and I am not a fan of chemical strippers. For the occasional stripping job that I run into I compromise with a heat gun, scraper and respirator. :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That brings to mind another question.

Does anybody have plans for a card scraper holder?

I know Veritas has a plastic model but I can't see paying nearly $40 for one. And I need a few different sizes.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I refinished a 100+ year old entertainment center once. It had four or five coats of paint and I used that paint stripper like it was going out of style. After stripping and sanding (and ruining a ROS) for two days, I got around to finishing and I swear that stripper prevented the finish from completely settling into the wood. I finished with a few coats of Minwax Ebony and probably poly and it looked terrible. I still think it was the paint stripper, but I could be wrong. Refinishing a nightstand right now and am sticking with sanding. Good on ya Mike, for keeping away from that stuff. :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Actually Mike that's perhaps the best way to strip. Not to mention the hazards of chemical strippers, they can damage the wood, loosen glue joints and make finishing next to impossible.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
After stripping and sanding (and ruining a ROS) for two days, I got around to finishing and I swear that stripper prevented the finish from completely settling into the wood. Good on ya Mike, for keeping away from that stuff. :icon_thum

When I used to refinish a lot and used chemical stripper, I would wash the stripper off with Acetone.

That helps a lot but certainly is more hazardous.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
When I used to refinish a lot and used chemical stripper, I would wash the stripper off with Acetone.

That helps a lot but certainly is more hazardous.

Ah Acetone... the all purpose glue remover... works wonders for peeling veneer from old furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS