Refinishing a new adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I didn't think this stuff was water based, I thought it was a true lacquer with all the hazards that come with it.

With that in mind, I would agree, you are not getting enough material out, need to open the needle and let a little more out.

How do you think it compares to spraying the USL? I think we are on the same page the shellac is harder to do than the USL (at least it is for me).

They call it a "pre cat" "Hybrid varnish" yes, it's water based.

My test results confirmed some interesting things. I couldn't be bothered to find a nice piece of wood and sand it smooth enough to represent a pre-sealed surface so I used the shiny side of a piece of hardboard for the test. I divided it up into 1' x 2' sections and marked them with the number of turns open for the flow control starting with 1.5, 2, 2.5 etc up to 5.5 turns open. Now I sprayed the shellac at 1.5 open and that was truely wet. The ultima lacquer was sprayed at 2 turns open and maybe; knowing what I know now, could have been 2.5. When I first filtered the EM8000 into the spray cup I noticed how thick it was compared with the UL, possibly 5 times longer to drain through the filter! My test showed that the setting of 1.5 I used on the table was VERY dry, 2 was similar, 3 a little better. 4 turns opened gave the first coat that had a true cohesive look to it. Up through 4.5 to 5.5 were not actually much differernt and still seemed to be atomzing ok. Gun inlet never moved from 25psi which is nice to think there is at least one setting to forget about. All tests were with full fan air on giving me the longest fan, of course these flow rates would change with a smaller fan. I am probably going to go with the 4 turns open for a coat on the table top. I felt that with this stuff I could have gone more open without atomization problems, but 4 turns it is. There being very little difference in 4 - 5.5 and being able to leave the inlet at 25psi has removed some of the fears that I had read about that this was an ultra fine setup. I think some of the praise must go to target for these very forgiving products.

I will let you know how it goes.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Interesting.

I have been spraying at a bit higher pressure than you have. Do you have a pressure gauge on the gun itself? How far are you opening the air inlet valve?

On my gun, I have use full fan as well and only open the air maybe a 1/2 turn.

I agree, the Target stuff I have used (shellac and USL) are extremely forgiving. I will definitely continue to use them.

DavidF

New User
David
Interesting.

I have been spraying at a bit higher pressure than you have. Do you have a pressure gauge on the gun itself? How far are you opening the air inlet valve?

On my gun, I have use full fan as well and only open the air maybe a 1/2 turn.

I agree, the Target stuff I have used (shellac and USL) are extremely forgiving. I will definitely continue to use them.

Yes, I have a gauge right at the gun and set it to 25psi I tried up as high as 40 and all I got was more bounce back. On the gun is a stamp that says HVLP 20 psi max. Which I understand sets the gun to the maximum LEGAL setting for HVLP of 10 psi at the tip. So allowing for tolerances and seeing as I am not subject to the clean air act, I chose 25. Last nights spray went well at 4 turns open in fact it may have been a tad heavier than my test piece because of the size of table. Reaching across the full width is making me move the gun a little slower and in parts I could just start to see a slightly milky appearance, but the result was superb after 2 hrs the finish was SMOOTH and fully cohesive. For the next coat I may try 3 1/2 turns just to see the difference.

There is another inlet valve as part of the gun itself, but I have that wide open and not really being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS