Recommend me some Epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Looking to try making a river table in the future. Need a good brand of Epoxy that won't break the bank. One that I can add pigment to and make it look awesome.

Thanks

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Best source would be uscomposites.com I am thinking their 150 resin would work well for you. Definitely do not use the resin found at either big box stores, they will cloud over within the first year.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Best source would be uscomposites.com I am thinking their 150 resin would work well for you. Definitely do not use the resin found at either big box stores, they will cloud over within the first year.

Could you point me in the right direction as to which ratio to use? I've never used epoxy before. I understand that the ratio can cause the epoxy to be too soft or bendy or vice versa. What would you say is good for a river table?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ratio of resin to hardener depends on which product you buy. For example if you decide to use medium speed 150, the kit will come with the exact amount of hardener to create a 3 to 1 mix. If you use fast set the ratio is 4 to 1 but with a different hardener.
You must mix this exactly as the instructions say, if you try to adjust the cure speed with a different ratio you could end up with a mess

Hope this helps

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What is your type of river table that uses pigmented epoxy poured into some carved out profile? How do you do the profile before the epoxy pouring?

I use West System epoxy exclusively. Usually the 105 resin and 206 hardener but there are other hardener choices to use with the 105 resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCVG-VA-ck

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Black Forest Woodworking posts alot of river table examples and builds on their Instagram feed. Check that out if you have not seen already. They also offer an online webinar about making resin tables. I have not seen it, so can't comment on it further. https://blackforestwood.com/collections/black-forest-webinars
They highly recommend Ecopoxy, http://www.ecopoxy.com/liquid-plastic/ I'm not sure that qualifies as inexpensive though. From what I've read, Ecopoxy can be poured thick all at once, as compared to some other epoxy that can only be poured 1/4" at a time. Also it's aparently easier to work with regarding air bubbles.
I'd like to build one of these soon too. Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is your type of river table that uses pigmented epoxy poured into some carved out profile? How do you do the profile before the epoxy pouring?

I use West System epoxy exclusively. Usually the 105 resin and 206 hardener but there are other hardener choices to use with the 105 resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCVG-VA-ck

While I agree West System offers a very good epoxy system. The West System quart size kit cost approx $70, while the USComposite quart size kit is $23 and is "good enough" for an interior table

Jeff

New User
Jeff
While I agree West System offers a very good epoxy system. The West System quart size kit cost approx $70, while the USComposite quart size kit is $23 and is "good enough" for an interior table

That's a good price. Do you use it for your carbon fiber boats?

I'm not sure where you got $70 for West. A quart of 105 resin is $35 and a pint of 206 hardener is $19.45 and the mixing ratio is 5:1 respectively. That's a lot of mixed epoxy for a single pour. Not a big deal for me though.

Last edited:

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Well depending on how big a table the OP wants to make, it could be quite expensive either way. A quart of epoxy does not go very far when you start calculating the volume of void you might be filling on a 6 ft long table, 1.5 inches or so thick, and a gap varying from 3-8 inches wide for the live edge channel. You could easily be looking at 8-15 quarts.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's a good price. Do you use it for your carbon fiber boats?

I'm not sure where you got $70 for West. A quart of 105 resin is $35 and a pint of 206 hardener is $19.45 and the mixing ratio is 5:1 respectively. That's a lot of mixed epoxy for a single pour. Not a big deal for me though.

We use epoxy resin from USComposites for all sorts of laminating, ranging from carbon fiber, fiberglass and wood.

The West System price of $70 came from Amazon. I did a little rounding actually with shipping it is $73

But just to throw a curve ball, the more I think about this application I believe a casting resin would be a good choice and it would save you some $.
Compositeenvision.com sells the Silmar 41 clear polyester casting resin. One gallon with hardener is only $68

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
We use epoxy resin from USComposites for all sorts of laminating, ranging from carbon fiber, fiberglass and wood.

The West System price of $70 came from Amazon. I did a little rounding actually with shipping it is $73

But just to throw a curve ball, the more I think about this application I believe a casting resin would be a good choice and it would save you some $.
Compositeenvision.com sells the Silmar 41 clear polyester casting resin. One gallon with hardener is only $68

Phil
Like you, I have used a fair amount of the West System epoxy. As time went on I changed over to RAKA in Florida for price reasons and customer service.

I see West Sys now like I view Craftsman products. I have not used the company you suggest but I might try them when I finish up my half gallon of RAKA epoxy.

[FONT=&quot]3490 Oleander Ave., Ft. Pierce, Florida 34982[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PH. 772.489.4070[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]fax 772.461.2070[/FONT]

They answer the phone and its worth talking to a person about your specific application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS