Recently retired and wondering what comes next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Alright everyone...need some help. You experienced retired persons can relate. Recently retired, lots of time now, perhaps hundreds of projects to pursue! Where in the world do I begin???? I know it is a wonderful problem to have, but I walk into my shop and wonder if I should proceed beyond beginner 'turner,' start sharpening planes, or get on with one of my "honey do" projects?! So I satisfied myself with just cleaning the floor and the dust filters. I know... pitiful start! Any advice? :cool:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Humidor? Jewelry Box? Chess Table and pieces (turn and flatwork)? Cribbage Board? Replace some furniture in your house? Ideas.....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Start and keep at least one 'Honey do' project going at all times. If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

Glennbear

Glenn
A wise man once said "Being retired is a license to overextend yourself" I have been retired for 5 years now and still have trouble budgeting my time. :gar-La; I do try to split my time between woodworking and DIY projects and learned early on to schedule projects to conform with prevailing weather, mid winter is not the time to remember that you never got to the landscaping project because you were too busy making chips in the shop. Best of luck with your new lifestyle. :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Gabe: First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! As a friend told me when I retired, "There won't be a thing you won't like about it!" LOL! I never have a day when I don't have something to do! I am blessed with a good (for me) shop, lots of friends I can visit and "hinder," and volunteer work with my church and a couple other organizations. I still do some training and consulting for my old employer also, and that keeps my "hand in" my old profession.

Take a few deep breaths, maybe a short vacation trip if you can, and think about prioritizing the things you really want to do. You'll be fine! May the Lord bless you in retirement. Your hands won't be idle long, I predict!
:wsmile:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Take it slow and easy. I would start some of the honey do list. Happy wife happy life!!

Red

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Start and keep at least one 'Honey do' project going at all times. If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

Yeah, what Dennis said. I think the answer to "what first" can be found in your avatar picture. Just turn your head to the right. :rotflm:

Bill

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
:D Many thanks to all who took a few moments to comment and help out. As an "advanced beginner" in wood working, there is so much more to learn! Many of you are obviously 'tradesmen' who grew up with tools and it just comes naturally. I traveled the overeducated route and I'm booksmart but not worldly with tools and their application. But I'm learning (usually the HARD WAY). I have settled on starting with a custom cribbage board for my Seattle brother-in-law, a quilt rack for my sweet wife, and a built-in cabinet project for my home office. Thanks again for your many helpful comments. :wwink: Mahalo.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
Seven years into the "retirement program" and rarely a dull moment. Slowly filling the bedrooms of three grandkids, keeping the neighborhood birds fed and housed, raised bed garden, teaching Sunday School, building the "Green Wind"" (a recycled playground for the kids), two trips to Brazil, just got back from a drive to Seattle and somewhere around here is a list of things I want to do...................exhale and enjoy!!!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Lucky you. Look at what would the nicest and most needed piece in your home, then start making it.

richlife

New User
Rich
Lucky you. Look at what would the nicest and most needed piece in your home, then start making it.

...with your wife's approval, of course! ;) Seriously, maybe it's just my own version of a wife, but I've learned to be careful about just starting a project because she said she would like that or assuming that the design I have in mind will be acceptable to her or that my mind in any way works the same as hers does (after 43 years!).

Base on your comments, Gabe, I have two suggestions. Start in getting as much "hands on" as you find pleasing. There is nothing to tie the book learning together as does making chips. I'm amazed how much more comfortable I feel now about approaching anything. You want it to all fit in the "been there done that" category (even if only once) because it's those later times that you really begin improving.

And if you have book skills, the I'd recommend investigating Google's Sketchup if you haven't already. The product is free and it's truly spectacular how you can create with it. Makes those approvals from the wife much easier to get. From the Fine Woodworking site download the "Sketchup Guide for Woodworkers". You'll never regret buying this low-cost, expert source for mastering an incredibly powerful tool.
http://www.tauntonstore.com/sketchup-guide-for-woodworkers-tim-killen-ebook-077846.html

Finally, but most important, congrats on the retirement! I've been there 9 years now and the list of projects is ever-growing. I'm just learning better how to not be intimidated by it! :gar-La;

Rich

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is amazing how fast the day flies by when retired. Sure you can set plans and schedules but why bother. When I was retired, went back to work after 10 month, I found my skills seem to improved. I took my time and my mind was more focused on WW and not my job.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:D Many thanks to all who took a few moments to comment and help out. As an "advanced beginner" in wood working, there is so much more to learn! Many of you are obviously 'tradesmen' who grew up with tools and it just comes naturally. I traveled the overeducated route and I'm booksmart but not worldly with tools and their application. But I'm learning (usually the HARD WAY). I have settled on starting with a custom cribbage board for my Seattle brother-in-law, a quilt rack for my sweet wife, and a built-in cabinet project for my home office. Thanks again for your many helpful comments. :wwink: Mahalo.

:rotflm:Well, that ought to keep you busy thru the weekend!! Enjoy!!

Robertjjr

New User
Rob
Great choices. To quote my brother "let's just do something, even if it's wrong". Just make some sawdust. One thing will lead to another - and another - and another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS