REALLY getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Ok guys, I know it has been a very long time since I've been on or posted, but I've had lots of kid stuff to iron out. I am now ready to really dig in and get serious about the projects around the house. I need to start in the shop obviously. I will be limited on space, so I need to come up with good ideas. I've been on a few shop crawls, so I have some in my head already. I'd like to start by building some mobile tool cabinets/stands (not really sure what to call them) ... like one for my router table, one for my compound miter saw, one for my craftsman tablesaw, maybe one for my drill press. All my tools thus far are bench top models, which lend themselves well to this kind of thing. I was thinking of building some kind of case with casters. Any tips on casework, casters, or height/depth design would be appreciated since I've never done anything like this would be greatly appreciated. :D:rolleyes:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Will,

Here is a link to a bench-top tool cabinet.

31-DP-00560 - Bench Tool System Downloadable Woodworking Plan PDF

I saw this featured in one of the woodworking magazines a few years ago and I have been wanting to build one. You store the tools in a vertical cabinet. Each tool is mounted on its own MDF foundation. There is a companion roll-around work stand that is sized for the MDF foundations. When you want to work with a tool, you remove it from the vertical cabinet and place it on the work stand. This seems like a good storage solution for bench-top tools in a small space. Good luck.

Steve

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome back Will! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I wish I could be of more help with your search, but I don't really have much to offer :(. Anyway, it's great that you've joined us again and I will definitely be paying attention to this thread as I may be building some similar cabinets in my tiny new shop. :D

I seem to recall a thread posted within the last year or so about a combo bench/cabinet that combined a planer station and jointer station. Finding it on the other hand may take more time than I'm going to be awake tonight... :swoon: From what I recall, it was a cabinet on casters that had both a jointer and planer on top and since the wood runs in the same direction for each tool, you could simply slide it out and use either tool....

T

toolferone

I have 1 thought. I just removed the toe kick on my router table because the caster's were too far in to use easliy. You don't need a toe kick with casters.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I bought the plans... thanks Steve!
Trent... good to be back, no worries - Steve had some good feedback. I'll keep everyone posted.
Tom - point taken, thanks.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
If you can, find a copy of "Building Worksop Workstations" by Danny Proulx. I got mine through an interlibrary loan from one of the Durham libraries.
It has 12 projects just like you requested. i also found some good ideas in Building the Perfect Tool Chest" by Jim Stack.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good to hear from you Will. A couple of tips:
- Buy the casters ahead of time, and buy enough for all your cabinets at once. That way, you don't have to worry down the road about minor differences in height. If your rolling cabinets are all the same height, it's easy to combine them into a work surfaces, or an outfeed table, or as supports for the miter stand. A consistent height also makes it easier to store them under a bench.
- The easiest way to make cabinets is with a pocket hole jig. Kreg makes a nice one, but the Harbor Freight one is solid too. Butt joints and glue are perfectly fine as well. And it's always fun to use a brad nailer.
- Don't skimp on the casters. I'd go for 3" minimum, and make sure they lock well. It's very tempting to economize here, but if the wheels don't lock or don't roll well, you'll be an unhappy camper.
- If you have two smaller bench tools, you can build a tool stand with a rotating top to accommodate both.
- Don't forget to add drawers. Having stuff in a dust-free place is really nice.
- Consider making the top oversized, so you can clamp stuff to it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Woodsmith's shop has done several shows on building workshop carts of various uses. Check their website.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Home Will. Woodcraft has some descent double casters. You can go with two swivel and two fixed casters but I prefer using four swivel ones. I would also make sure you add draws or various depths to your bases. Like clamps you can never have enough draw space.

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome Home Will. Woodcraft has some descent double casters. You can go with two swivel and two fixed casters but I prefer using four swivel ones. I would also make sure you add draws or various depths to your bases. Like clamps you can never have enough draw space.

To expand on that thought, I would recommend 4 swivel casters but the type that locks both swivel and rolling. I got mine from Hartville Tool. :wsmile:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Will, this one has some interesting features, particularly if you are space-constrained:

Ultimate Tool Stand

Also, I have every issue of ShopNotes - they have plans for all varieties of mobile work stands. I'm in Raleigh, you're welcome to stop by and borrow them.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors