Re-reclaimed Pine Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
We had a rectangular table in our kitchen that I built 12 yrs ago from some reclaimed pine. SWMBO decided after all this time that it was too big and wanted a round one. Sandy was home last weekend and helped me drag the table to the shop. I tore it apart and built this one. After taking the old finish off I put two coats of Danish oil on it and some wax. So I quess it's re-reclaimed???

0282.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
:rotflm: Funny, I just did the opposite Larry. After years w/ a round table I built, LOML decided we needed a rectangular one. Hmmm! I never thought about stretching that sucker out. :no:

Seriously, your table looks great, and good job of working w/ what you have available. :icon_thum

Bill

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Larry, that looks really nice. You've put new life into some classic southern wood!

I'm curious though. :icon_scra Awhile back you were wondering about "scrubbed pine" and how to do it. As I recall, your wife had seen one at an antique shop in Wilson and told you that there wasn't enough money in Bertie county to buy one. I guess you've "scrubbed" that idea. :dontknow:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry, that looks really nice. You've put new life into some classic southern wood!

I'm curious though. :icon_scra Awhile back you were wondering about "scrubbed pine" and how to do it. As I recall, your wife had seen one at an antique shop in Wilson and told you that there wasn't enough money in Bertie county to buy one. I guess you've "scrubbed" that idea. :dontknow:
Jeff, The Watco Danish Oil was as close as I could get to the "scrubbed pine" look. I still don't know what it really is.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Larry,

We share the same confusion on "scrubbed pine tables". :icon_scra

I've done a little internet searching and haven't come up with anything definitive, but here's my take from a historical perspective:

The old pine tables were often coated with milk paint and of course they got dirty from day to day use. So, the kitchen chief mixed up some homemade lye soap (a filtered Drano solution would work these days) and scrubbed the table with a brush. Wipe it down with fresh water and voila you have a scrubbed pine table. I imagine that after many of these treatments the table took on a certain patina of its own. :dontknow:

Jeff, The Watco Danish Oil was as close as I could get to the "scrubbed pine" look. I still don't know what it really is.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The old pine tables were often coated with milk paint and of course they got dirty from day to day use. So, the kitchen chief mixed up some homemade lye soap (a filtered Drano solution would work these days) and scrubbed the table with a brush. Wipe it down with fresh water and voila you have a scrubbed pine table. I imagine that after many of these treatments the table took on a certain patina of its own

So right now used and messed up is fashionable? Wait a few years, It will come around again. Look at 'Hoosier Cabinets', they started off made of oak. Later everyone painted them so they would be fashionable. Now they are stripping them to show the oak. :dontknow:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Larry! :icon_thum

Did you cut the legs from larger pieces, or did you have to laminate some boards together to get the thickness you wanted?

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Nicely done, Larry! :icon_thum

Did you cut the legs from larger pieces, or did you have to laminate some boards together to get the thickness you wanted?

Tom, the table that I cut down had legs that I always thought were to big and clunky looking so I just resized them for a much lighter look. The origional was about 3 1/2" at the top and 1 1/2" at the bottom so I had plenty to work with. The new ones are about 2 1/4" at the top and tapers to about 7/8" at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS