? re: finish on trivets/window decorations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I have been finishing my trivets with Danish oil. I am also making some smaller snowflakes ornaments which will have lots of inside cuts so am planning on finishing them the same way. If they are hung in windows will that be enough protection for the wood? I guess I also need to start signing them since they'll be in a gallery, huh?

Monty

New User
Monty
Good question. I would think that a finish that offers more UV protection would be best. I don't think you'll get UV protection from danish oil alone.

cskipper

Cathy
I'm a little hesitant to use something else in case they are used as trivets and get really hot pans/dishes put on them. Suggestions?

Monty

New User
Monty
I don't think you're going to get much heat protection from any finish.... hanging the pieces of wood in a window changes your priorities I would think. Just make the ornaments too small to be useful for trivets -- that way people will have to buy a trivet AND an ornament! :D

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Home Depot sells a Behr brand of Scandinavian oil with UV blockers in it. It is primarily tung oil and goes on like danish oil to me.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks. I can change what I use for the new ones, but I need to refinish the ones already done.

Richgod

New User
Richard
Definitely sign your work! I use a fine/extra fine permanent marker to put my initials/date on the outer lower edge of mine (someplace usualy out of sight). I used to use a branding iron on my larger pieces, but it had an unfortunate demise. A Mosler floor safe was inadverdantly tipped over on it. (Anybody want a safe for the shop??)
I normally use spray Deft for my ornaments, and Poly for trivets. We have one that has been used for years with no problems.

Richard

Richgod

New User
Richard
Check out the article in the November 2006 (173) issue of BH&G Wood Magazine page 65 "Oil vs. Film" finishes.

Richard

cskipper

Cathy
I would if I had it. I wasn't sure if someone took a pan straight from the stove to the trivet if a poly finish would be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS