Random Orbit Sander Problems

Manthule

New User
Mac
Hi all - Long time lurker first time poster here.

I have been having an issue with my new Dewalt random orbit sander in that after what seems like only a few minutes of use, the hook and loop loses its grip, sending the paper flying across my garage. This is a new sander, and the hooks are not worn down. Also, I always start and stop the sander while it is resting flat on my workpiece and use very little pressure, as I have read that is the proper technique to help prevent the exact problem I am experiencing.

After doing a fair bit of reading, it seems like orbital sanders nowadays have a much less aggressive hook and loop pad than those made several years ago. I see that I can purchase a more aggressive aftermarket pad from a company like DuraGrit or fashion a new pad myself from velcro strips, but I'm not sure if this will solve my problem.

After giving one of the loose sandpaper's a closer inspection, you can clearly see that the hoop backing is just simply worn away, leading me to think this is actually a problem with the paper (cheap?) and not the sander or my technique. In the pictures you can clearly see the factory thickness of the hoop backing versus what has been velcro'ed to the sander. What do you guys think?

For reference, I am using a DWE6423 with Craftsman and Gator brand sandpapers (both from Lowes).

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an older model of that the Dewalt ROS. The sanding pads I use are ones I got from Klingspor's. Not sure if it's the hooks on the base, the pads or a combination of the two, but I've never had that problem. They stay firmly attached until I peel them off, even after repeated uses. I'd first try a different sanding pad to see if that's the issue.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
If you feel it’s the paper, go buy a new pack of paper. If you find that’s it the new sander, return it as defective.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ll probably be in the minority here, but I had the same problem with klingspor sanding discs from the variety pack on my dewalt. It didn’t matter which disc I used, they would all come off after a little sanding. I am not using dust collection and I wonder if that might be the problem.

Another recent thread praised Cubitron sanding discs made by 3M, so I bought the sampler pack and the discs have held firmly until I remove them. I ran out of the Cubitron xtract 120 grit and needed more, and not wanting to wait, ordered Mirka from Amazon. The Mirka sanding discs also hold on very well.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have an old Bosch and am on my third sanding pad. I use Klingspor papers and find that the disc is actually hard to remove. If you have problems with the disc coming off in use, I would think the pad on the sander is defective and should be replaced.

Roy G

ssmith

New User
Scott
I'm using a Dewalt DW421 ROS, usually with Diablo disks (Home Depot). Never had any problem with retention - as others have said, it takes a fair amount of effort to remove them, even after repeated attachment.

This is an odd issue, since it's unlikely two brands of paper have the same problem (pointing to the pad), yet Dewalt makes good tools so it's hard to imagine the pad is at fault. Maybe try a different paper before returning the sander?

Union Grove Saw & Knife

New User
UGS&K
I agree with others on swapping out the pad. I have had my DeWalt ROS for years and have used a variety of sandpaper brands with no issues. Potentially the newer models have different pads with less grip or you have a defective model?

Regardless, if you are still within your warranty/return period, maybe you can take it back and get a new one. This will help you determine whether you had a defective model or not. If you still have issues, then swap pads with some of the other suggestions from above.
Good luck!

ncfromnc

New User
neil
plus one on Klingspor paper. It is more expensive, but it lasts much longer than that crap at the big box stores. And the backing sticks like a champ.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS