Raising a Sawstop PCS for a Tall woodworker

Trent

New User
Trent
I am about to purchase a Sawstop 3HP PCS. I was also thinking of getting the Industrial base as it works so well for moving the saw. I am almost 6' 5", and so would like to raise my saw and the outfeed/assembly table. From all I have read, it sounds like 38 in. might be a good height. (reduce back pain and increase safety). I am guessing this could be done with a wood spacer block attached to the Industrial base.
I have seen a few people say they did this, but I have not been able to see any photos of what they did..

Does any one have photos of how this can be done?
thanks!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I don't have photos, however, You can use 2x4 or 2x6 (or 4x4, etc) oak or other some other strong wood to build a bottom frame. Then, drill appox 3/8 down/deep on the top with a forstner bit a recess to accept the feet, make the recess hole 1/4 inch larger than the feet diameter.

Then , go to a HVAC supply store or Amazon ( Rubber pad ) and buy 4 or 8 for rubber isolation pads or you could use something equal attach to the bottom and you are good to go.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have my 3HP PCS back to back with a Delta Unisaw. The Delta does all the Dado blade work and the Sawstop does the rest. Each saw works as a runout table for the other. The Delta is on a roller base and so it'e taller than the Sawstop (not on a roller base). I milled 2X material for under the Sawstop until I had the two saws level then attached the pieces together in a frame. I added skirt pieces on the edges on the 2X material that hug the sides of the Sawstop base so if the Sawstop were to be moved, the base would move with it. Oh, I also build about a 12" section of table between the two saws since the miter slots didn't align. That 12" section has miter slots milled in it to match both saws. That way you can run a sled off the back of each saw without any issues.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I too am 6' 5" and have the same setup, 3HP PCS with Industrial base.
The table top isn't quite 35", unfortunately. No back pain for me, yet, but I am definitely going to keep my eye on this post.

If you ever get to building and adding, to get the table top to ~38", please share some detailed pictures, as well as your process.

Good luck!

Trent

New User
Trent
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. The back to back saw setup is something I had not seen yet-nice. Casey, is your detailed description for something you built that has been working? or your thoughts from viewing the base?
Does the PCS sit loosely (by gravity) on the base, such that all one needs is a spacer. Or does the base attach with bolts or clips to the base?
thanks,

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The pic below is my old Unisaw on a raised platform and built into my outfeed/assembly table. I'm 6-4" and have found 40" to be the best height for me. I have most of the tools in my shop raised to that height.

IMG_3662.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS