Quick Kitchen Shelf Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
I was in need for some shop therapy & it just so happens my wife has been asking for a shelf to dress up a wall in our kitchen. So I set out for an adventure, well more like some peace amongst the sawdust! I thought I'd share this work in progress.

Started with a simple Design. Had a nice piece of cherry and some oak boards lying around. I planed them down and cut them to size.
photo_16.JPG

View image in gallery
Then I cut some dado's. To give the shelf a little style and support, I decided to use a mortise and tenon style joint. Just purchasing some Mortise Chisels, I decided to cut these mortises mostly by hand (The drill press helped to make the process a little quicker).

I learned from my mistake, as I did the lower mortise first and you see here on the backside, I had a pretty big chip out. I didn't score anything on the backside, so lesson learned. The other mortise went much better and more smooth. Then I cut the shelves to fit.

In figuring out the best way to mount this project to the wall, I decided to make a cleat for the shelf to lock into. I routed the back of the cherry to allow for the cleat to fit nice and snug. After several passes with the router, I used a dovetail bit and some more chiseling to get a nice angle on the back of the main support. I cut the angle on the cleat for a nice locking finish.

Here's a picture of the shelf sitting on the wall. I surprised my wife with it sitting there when she got home (brownie points!) and I just need to sand, glue and finish. I'll get some pictures of that when it is all finished up.

I just thought I'd share my latest project. Any thoughts and critiques are appreciated. Thanks!

toolferone

New User
Tom
Looks cool. The shelves look locked in nice and tight.

Joe, it sounds like he did a french cleat mount.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Thanks All for the great comments. I'm excited to finish it up & my wife is excited to test the shelves out by filling them up.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Good idea! What's your attachment method?

Tom had it right, it's a French Cleat... I guess I just called it a cleat in wording above. I guess I'll update that.

I routed out the back of the cherry for the french cleat to fit nice and snug. Worked out Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors