Questions about "freight" deliveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Hi all-

How do freight deliveries usually work? I ordered a machine (gloat pending once it actually arrives:icon_thum ) that I expect to be here around june 22/23. The quote included residential lift gate service.

The other big machines that I have were delivered by the nice folks at the local woodcraft (as opposed to web-order deliveries).

What should I expect? I don't know what freight company it will be. Will they generally put it in the garage for me?

I don't have a pallet jack or anything (no hoist, no cherry picker, etc). The machine weighs ~700 pounds. The local home depot doesn't rent out pallet jacks, will I need one if they put it in the garage? If so, does anyone know where I can rent one in the matthews area?

In other words, how on earth do I do this??

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I've had a couple liftgate deliveries and they backed right up to the shop, offloaded the crate and set it in place with a pallet jack.

I was able to get the delivery company name and phone them to ask questions. Maybe you can do the same?

If you have challenging driveway conditions then they may not be able to get very close. There are a lot of ways to move things...pallet jacks and ply sheets over ground will work.

You've got some time to work things out and maybe borrow a jack.

Chuck

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Although they are not required to, most drivers will "assist" you with putting your machine into the building. Ask them for their advice and if they could assist you, but understand that it is your responsibility - not theirs. A ten dollar tip for some extra help is nice thing to offer them.

Almost always they have a pallet jack onboard the truck, as this is how they move the item around inside the truck. However, it's a good idea to have one on hand just in case.

Eqipment rental yards (Sunbelt, or other places that you'd call to rent stuff for parties, weddings, construction equipment, etc) will have a pallet jack that you can rent, if needed. Find out who the delivery company is and call them to verify if they will have a pallet jack on board before shelling out the $ to rent one.

Pallet jacks with heavy loads on them require fairly smooth surfaces. Check out the route in advance to make sure that it's not up a steep incline or if it has any major gaps between concrete slabs, etc. If so, make some type of sold filler to go in the cracks.

Make sure that the pathway is clean with no debris, as it does not take much to stop a pallet jack.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Although they are not required to, most drivers will "assist" you with putting your machine into the building. Ask them for their advice and if they could assist you, but understand that it is your responsibility - not theirs. A ten dollar tip for some extra help is nice thing to offer them.

Almost always they have a pallet jack onboard the truck, as this is how they move the item around inside the truck. However, it's a good idea to have one on hand just in case.

Eqipment rental yards (Sunbelt, or other places that you'd call to rent stuff for parties, weddings, construction equipment, etc) will have a pallet jack that you can rent, if needed. Find out who the delivery company is and call them to verify if they will have a pallet jack on board before shelling out the $ to rent one.

Pallet jacks with heavy loads on them require fairly smooth surfaces. Check out the route in advance to make sure that it's not up a steep incline or if it has any major gaps between concrete slabs, etc. If so, make some type of sold filler to go in the cracks.

Make sure that the pathway is clean with no debris, as it does not take much to stop a pallet jack.

Thanks for the informative post! I will see if there is a sunbelt near me. The driveway is an incline, I hope that isn't a problem. Perhaps they can bring a smaller truck & back it in. I will keep you all posted, I am quite excited :D

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sunbelt has a rental branch off US 74 across from the Harris Teeter Warehouse in Indian Trail. United Rentals has a branch in Indian Trial also off US 74 behind KFC near Rowell's Off Road. Either of them should have what you need.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
It's hit and miss on what they will do for you. I've lucked out with an 800lb++ tool ... where they delivered with lift gate and placed it in my garage. A small tip to the driver and all was good!

DaveD

New User
Dave
Don't be surprised if they show up with a full blown sized tractor-trailer rig. If you want them to pull on your property you will probably have to sign a waiver for any damage the truck may do. They can really wreck/crack a typical residential concrete driveway. Particularly around the edges and corners.

fergy

New User
Fergy
He ordered lift gate service, which tends to mean it comes in a 26' or under straight truck, not a semi trailer. Few freight companies send out trailers with lift gates.

If you get into a bind, let me know. Then you can just have them drop the pallet on your driveway and I can bring a pallet jack by after work hours.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
He ordered lift gate service, which tends to mean it comes in a 26' or under straight truck, not a semi trailer. Few freight companies send out trailers with lift gates.

If you get into a bind, let me know. Then you can just have them drop the pallet on your driveway and I can bring a pallet jack by after work hours.

Oooh, that would be awesome!

I am out of town this week (heading to the airport in about an hour), but will hopefully get shipping info while I am gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors