question on miter saw needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimog

New User
CHO
That is very similar to some observations that I have made with my miter saw, and it made me consider the usefulness of this tool.
If I am going to keep a miter saw in the shop, I may have to look at a different blade or at a different saw with a 10" blade.

I have a Freud finish blade on my 12" and there is indeed deviation from the top to the bottom, no matter how much time I spend trueing the blade.

Cross cuts on small stock (e.g. 1") are fine, but when cutting 2x4, there is a noticeable angle on the cut.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
​Me too Barry. I have an 8 ft. stand with a miter saw (not a slider) and my RAS. . . . .

Pop

When I built my miter saw table I did not have a RAS. Now I need to find a way to modify the miter saw table to use the RAS with it. BTW, I use a Makita blade on my miter saw and am very pleased with it. http://http://a.co/humULZw

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
Just for the sake of the conversation I have a 12" Hitachi Slider (Rods). I can get it close to the wall and this thing was spot on from the factory. (maybe I got lucky) Dust collection sucks like most miter saws. It is a beast. I put a very nice blade on it. Orion? Cuts like butter and leaves an edge that feels like it was sanded with very little tare out. I am very happy with the Hitachi and the blade.

I did have to make a zero clearance insert, the factory one sucks (like most) and I recently cut some 4" miters in walnut for a display box. I was skeptical but my 45's are spot on, zero gap.

Thanks to my son and this Orion blade, I'm a firm believer in a high quality blade, it's worth the price.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I've had one for as long as I can remember. They are more convenient for rough crosscutting of long boards to approximate length than a table saw. Having said that, mine has been unplugged against a back wall, I only use it for roughing long lumber, as need it. You can crosscut extremely accurately on a table saw with a sled. I always preferred this for final cuts to length over my mitre saw. A mitre saw makes these crosscuts very quickly and easily, which is why many, if not most people like having them around.

Nevertheless, you don't need it. However, if you anticipate doing a lot of molding, like crown molding in your house. A mitre saw makes installation easy. This would not be easy at all with a table saw.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a very nice Dewalt compound sliding miter saw on a stand. It took up a very large footprint and when I considered how often I used it I could not justify the amount of space it took up. It also was loud and spewed sawdust everywhere. I sold it and now have a small Hitachi that is on the underside of my flip table with my oscillating sander.

Matt

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Dewalt miter saws are getting better at dust control - much better. We all know that miter saws were primarily designed for for construction sites were dust control was not as much of an issue as it is in a home shop. Coming from a building construction background, I love miter saws. But when you get down to it, there isn't a lot that you can do with a miter saw that you can't do with a table saw and a good sled and jig or two, especially if you have a long extension table on your table saw.

Pete

I had a very nice Dewalt compound sliding miter saw on a stand. It took up a very large footprint and when I considered how often I used it I could not justify the amount of space it took up. It also was loud and spewed sawdust everywhere. I sold it and now have a small Hitachi that is on the underside of my flip table with my oscillating sander.

Matt

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I'm getting ready to build a long miter table on one of the long walls in my garage. I'm going to use a t-slot style stop mechanism for repeat cuts. If you are working with long or heavy material, there is no beating a good miter saw.

Pete

I'm with Pop. I have a 12" miter Saw and a RAS. I use the miter Saw ALL the time. I have it recessed in a long bench
which makes it really convenient. You may not have the room for a long bench but I find my miter Saw earns its keep.

Jim

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Just for the sake of the conversation I have a 12" Hitachi Slider (Rods). I can get it close to the wall and this thing was spot on from the factory. (maybe I got lucky) Dust collection sucks like most miter saws. It is a beast. I put a very nice blade on it. Orion? Cuts like butter and leaves an edge that feels like it was sanded with very little tare out. I am very happy with the Hitachi and the blade.

I did have to make a zero clearance insert, the factory one sucks (like most) and I recently cut some 4" miters in walnut for a display box. I was skeptical but my 45's are spot on, zero gap.

Thanks to my son and this Orion blade, I'm a firm believer in a high quality blade, it's worth the price.

Jerry, Thanks for mentioning your Hitachi 12" miter saw, I wouldn't want DeWalt to receive all the recognition. I also have a 12" Hitachi (bought it reconditioned from Big Sky Tool) and I agree with everything you said about yours. It is a beast, mine was delivered via motor freight rather than UPS. I haven't made a new zero clearance insert yet, but that's on the to-do list. Keep sawing!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
My miter saw is probably the most used tool in my shop, can't do without it. Use it in almost every application.

Below is a sample, over 600 pieces, probably North of 1,200 cuts, each with precision. Would hate to try this on the table saw.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 133

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I agree with Skymaster and others. My 12" Bosch slider is used an almost every project I build. Dust collection for it is a simple shop vac connection. (with a little modification!) Wouldn't want to be without it!

:notworthy:
Sliding 12" miter saw is almost a shop in itself. Construction backround also close to 40 yrs best all around tool one can own. far far far superior to a radial arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS