[QUESTION] Mold on Bamboo

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hey Folks!

I was offered some bamboo cabinet lumber for free... however, it's been sitting in a basement for "years" and it covered in mold (see photos).

From looking at the photos, do you think this wood is salvageable or should I (sadly) just toss it?

Thanks for any wisdoms you can share!

Ian

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Out here we 1st Dry it, then bursh off any dry mold dust, then use bleach, acetic acid (vinegar) then orange/lemon oil based cleaners.

Then degrease it with acetone or alcohol, then varnish, urethane... etc.

THe real question is what is the new cost, if it is 15 buck a ft, then yeah ........ 3 bucks a ft, well then you might not think it is worth the effort.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
From what I see, I'd just dispose of it and move on. It's unfortunate but that mold looks as if it's in it not just on it. So you could go through the process of cleaning it and not get the staining out of the material, and there could be regrowth even after the effort. To much risk not enough reward. :(

Jeff

New User
Jeff
some bamboo cabinet lumber for free

Is it like bamboo plywood (1/2" or 3/4" thick)? How many pieces are there to try to salvage? It looks like an iffy undertaking unless you have an attraction to bamboo and are willing to give it a go. You have a long way to go if you intend to salvage this "free" bamboo.

Here's what new bamboo plywood should look like without a finish. Only about $200 for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS