question about resawing with my band saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy E.

New User
Andy
I have a delta 12 in band saw and was wondering if anyone has ever changed the blade to do resaw?? also is my band saw big enough to resaw ? as you can tell never done it before, thanks in advance !:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What is the height of the guides above the table? Maybe 3 inches?

If that is what you want to resaw then I guess you could do it. Will take extra time with the underpowered motor but with a 1/2 inch skip tooth blade of 3 teeth per inch it will work.

If you have larger lumber you will need a bigger saw or maybe see if someone near you will help.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Andy,

Yes, the bigger the machine the better for resawing, but it can still be done on smaller machines -- with limitations (power, resaw height, blade tension).

Power can be dealt with by a sharp blade and a slow feed rate. Smaller machines usually have less stout frames so they can't be tensioned up for optimum blade performance. (Years ago I had a 12" band saw once that you could actually measure flex the frame if you over tightened).

A 12" should hand a 1/2" blade. Be sure its designed for resawing, something like Woodslicer or Timberwolf.

Tension it up as tight as you can, get your fence and drift dialed and and give 'er a rip....

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I have a 10" Delta (model 28-195). I just completed a project where I resawed some 6" wide mahogany on it. Use the widest blade your saw can fit (probably like mine, 1/2"). Slow and steady, and expect to make mistakes and adjustments until you get the feel for it.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have a delta 12 in band saw and was wondering if anyone has ever changed the blade to do resaw?? also is my band saw big enough to resaw ? as you can tell never done it before, thanks in advance !:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

You won't get much done with a BS that small. If you want to get some wood resawn, send a PM. I am in Durham and I have an old 20" BS.

Its not an invitation to boast, I can show you some things that might encourage you to take re-saw projects further. Gallery photos in Veneer Work folder.

0382.JPG

old delta saw still working

0225.JPG

quartersawn stock for doors and case faces
IMG_00654.jpg

Resaw blace. unusual carbide tipped blade originally designed for cutting bone in meat industry -- this is the Lenox Tri-Master
IMG_00663.jpg

Board width limit -- 12.5"
IMG_02104.jpg

Each bookmatched piece 11.5"​

Andy E.

New User
Andy
Thanks one and all for the advice, I think it would work too, but maybe for the amount of times I do it will it be worth it. Maybe I can get some help doing it on their bandsaw.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used to have a home made 12 inch bandsaw. I used a kit of metal parts from Gilom manufacturing - might have that name a bit wrong. With a Woodslicer, I could resaw but I was never thrilled with my results. I had a 1/2 hp motor on it.

I threw away the old bandsaw when I moved in 2013. I'm thinking of building one of Mathius Wadel's 20 inch bandsaws. From his videos, it looks like it works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS