Question about Pin Nailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hello,
Does anyone have experience using a 23G pin nailer similar to the Grex? Does one of these work well for mouldings? Does it really make a hole so small that you don't need to fill it?

I am asking because I am working on building a number of built in furnishings for a mud room (cabinets, storage areas, bench etc) and there is a bunch of moulding. Well to make a long story short I have to remove all of it and repaint it and put it back up (or more likely cut new stuff and start over). There was a changing of the mind so to speak. :BangHead: So a pin nailer might really cut down the pain in my rear. Are they worth the money?

Thanks

Mark

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I got one of these on sale ~6 months ago for $16 and love it. It has worked every time I've needed it. Wipe a little spit on the hole and the wood swells and hides it. You do have to hold your mouth just right to keep the tip from denting the trim. I would like the Grex or Cadex but I don't see needing it every day or needing to shoot >1" pins. I figured that I would would have to go through ~15 of them to equal a Grex:roll:.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93656
clear.gif

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the PC 23 gauge one. I think the longest pin/nail it will shoot is 1". The hole is small I will say that, but not having to fill it, I don't know.

If you want to borrow mine to try it out you are more than welcome. It isn't something I use a lot.

BTW, lunch Wednesday?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
... Wipe a little spit on the hole and the wood swells and hides it. You do have to hold your mouth just right ...:roll:.
clear.gif

Well, DUH!!. If you don't hold your mouth right how are ya gonna spit in the hole.!!:mrgreen:

What kind of tabacky do ya use on Walnut to get a match??

Go

T

toolferone

I also have the Porter Cable pinner and 1" is the max. There are many times I do not fill the holes. One of the exceptions being if you shoot a nail into wood painted white, then you can see the spot the nail went. If the wood is dark I rarely fill the holes. I sold many of the Gres guns and everybody liked them. A good friend bought the big one and let me try it. It is amaxing it can shoot such a long nail, but it does.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Thanks for the response. Travis I sent you a PM about lunch. Tom, I was wondering if it would work the same with painted wood. Humm.

Thanks,

Mark

jtdums

New User
Jim
I have, and use fairly often with great success, the bostich model that will shoot more than an inch (1 3/16 I think). It has been very reliable and a pleasure to use on moldings. I find that I still have to fill holes on painted wood at least. The tip can leave dents and does take a little getting used to. Great tool overall. Good luck.

Badabing

New User
Joe
I have the Grex and it is everything they say it is! I use it all the time and love it :eusa_danc The holes are small enough to not have to fill but if you're fussy you may want to anyway. Definitely a good tool for molding as it won't split thin pieces. However, be careful with pin nails, they can turn with the grain of the wood and come out where you don't expect them. I found that out the hard way and put one into my thumb. Hurt like a son-of-a-gun. Just keep your fingers away from the business end and you should be OK.

Hope that helps!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Joe is right, pin nails can hurt, too! OUCH! The pin nails bend and curve very willingly, so one must be careful aiming.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I have used a duo fast pin nailer quite a bit, and I would give it a favorable review. I really like the small pin a lot beter for a lot of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS