question about making a nakashima inspired bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
[FONT=&quot] Nakashima bed.jpgNakashima bed2.jpg
Hello, i want to make something like this bed, and bought a slab for this purpose. I think i can figure out mounting the slab. The question i have is how to secure the second level of the bedframe to the first level. I am thinking there may be some cross braces going from the head of the bed to the foot of the bed and then the top layer has braces going in the other direction that sit on those braces (and the sides of the frame). if that is the case i suppose i would need to secure the two layers together somehow.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Tim

[/FONT]

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think I would just make the platform with cross members under the top surface that are the full height of the outside pieces. Then the tapered bottom section can be fastened to these cross members. For transportation, I would have it break down into at least 3 pieces, bottom section, platform for the mattress and headboard. I'd probably connect the sections with bolts. That is crude as a woodworking joint but I like things sturdy on a bed.

thsb

New User
Tim
thanks. i just read something about Nakashima that talked about his willingness to use screws and such despite showcasing elegant hand made joints. Not aspiring to be a purist in any way so i like the idea of bolts that are hidden while providing structural reliability.

I think I would just make the platform with cross members under the top surface that are the full height of the outside pieces. Then the tapered bottom section can be fastened to these cross members. For transportation, I would have it break down into at least 3 pieces, bottom section, platform for the mattress and headboard. I'd probably connect the sections with bolts. That is crude as a woodworking joint but I like things sturdy on a bed.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Make the platform part (that holds the mattress) as a torsion box. Very strong and relatively light, with no wood movement issues.

K

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I'm in agreement with JimD on this. Making the platform as solid as possible with the cross braces integrated into the platform provides a secure, solid surface for the mattress. Using bolts to fasten the base to the platform allows for easy disassembly and reassembly, while creating a secure connection between the two pieces. There is no need for fancy joinery in this application in my opinion.

Good luck, and be sure to post some photos of the finished project.

Cheers,

Matt

thsb

New User
Tim
Makes the 440.00 for the headboard slab seem like a reasonable deal.
looking forward to checking out the videos.

thanks,
tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS