quarter sawn oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason m

New User
jason
Has any one gotten wood from this guy? I am wanting to get some quarter sawn red oak for an upcoming project and will need about 100 bd ft of oak and this guy seems to have the best prices in the raleigh area. I have the tools to clean up the rough sawn boards. What do I need to look for to make sure I get quality boards. I am on a budget and that is why I am looking at this guy vs Capital City Lumber or quartersawnoak.com. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/3592548872.html

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have not personally gotten any wood from him, but I have seen his name mentioned many times as a good place to get wood. Like any wood, you have to personally inspect each board to see if it is what you want.

Roy G

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Have you checked with Scott Smith? He is just down hwy 1 from you and has excellent quality oak. He is a member here (scsmith42)

Go

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i've bought wood from jack (saw4you on this site) on several occasions. Never QS oak, but i've bought walnut, cherry, maple, cypress and others from him and have not been disappointed. he's good guy to work with and knows his stuf Can't go wrong w/ Scott either.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1. Jack's a good guy, nice stuff. Same for Scott, he is the king of quartersawn stuff.

batk30msu

New User
brent
I've purchased from Jack before and was very pleased with what I received. Most (at least at the time I was there) of the lumber was air dried, so make sure that is going to fit your needs. He does offer kiln dried in some species. His prices are tough to beat! If it wasn't such a haul from where I live I think I would buy from him all the time.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have bought from Jack and have been very pleased with the value. Especially good in walnut and poplar. Note most of his lumber is air dried.

I have also bought from Scott and have been very pleased as well. If quality QS oak is what you are after I would go to Scott. Especially if you need wide boards.
Salem

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Jack in Rolesville or Scott in New Hill. Both offer high quality wood, prices, and customer service to meet your needs.

Rob

New User
Rob
I've dealt with Scott, bought a lot of wood from him. You'll not go wrong if you go to him.

Jason m

New User
jason
Alot of good responses and info about both guys. The reason I was looking at Jack is he has quarter sawn oak KD for 2.95 and Scott in New Hill has pricing starting at 4.08. Another question I have is what should I look for with rough lumber. Should I get a moisture gauge and bring a hand planer to see the grain? What should the moisture level in oak be?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Alot of good responses and info about both guys. The reason I was looking at Jack is he has quarter sawn oak KD for 2.95 and Scott in New Hill has pricing starting at 4.08. Another question I have is what should I look for with rough lumber. Should I get a moisture gauge and bring a hand planer to see the grain? What should the moisture level in oak be?

I am sure Scott will jump in here soon, but one thing to consider is that with Scott, you won't need to bring your moisture meter. Scott's kiln is on site and tightly controlled...more importantly for me when wanting to start projects ASAP is that his storage room is inside and climate controlled so you don't have a long shop acclimation time once you bring your lumber home.

just my $0.02

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Scott does offer NCWW members a discount. He will also plane your stock.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've dealt with both and Jack is a great supplier. Most of Scott's stock is skip-planed so you can see the grain and find those extra-figured boards to make the project perfect. You won't go wrong with either supplier. I go to Scott for Oak and get most other wood from Jack or the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville if I need something neither of them has on hand currently.

Jack doesn't always have any Oak (apparently he does now if he's advertising it), but Scott will always have Oak.

- Ken.

banjo mike

New User
Mike

I'd suggest that if you buy from Jack you also grab up some of that AD stock. That's a bargain at $1.50/bf for quartersawn. I don't think I could saw it for that price and come out. There's a lot of log turning and remounting to do the job right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS