Quality spray gun opinions sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I need some advice, I want to be able to produce a quality spray finish by using one of the new HVLP or LVLP guns but I think I have the wrong gun. I bought a IR HVLP gun at BORG for about $99 and have tried to spray both water-based and lacquer based products. I results are marginal as the gun atomization seems to change. I think I have plenty of air as my compressor delivers 11.5 cfm @ 90 and I previously was able to spray a decent finish with my old HP siphon Binks gun, but I am hoping to move to the new technology with good results. I think I just bought too cheap of gun and need to move up to a better gun. As neither Festool or LN make spray guns - what do I buy? Thanks

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
If it is in your budget I would buy a Sata. They are available at most auto parts suppliers and high end paint stores. You will pay for them though. Probably between 250 and 350. The quality is unmatched in more expensive guns. That is all my painters use in the body shop I work in.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you were using a Binks (Model 7?), you may want to look at Binks/DeVilbiss (same company but there are web sites under both names). The Binks Mach 1 is an excellent choice. You will want to upgrade the air hose fittings to the larger bore quick disconnects (the high volume ones have a 5/16 inner diameter as opposed to the normal 3/4) and at least a 3/8 id hose up to within 10 ft of the gun.
Having used the Mach 1 for many years spraying acft, I am about to sacrifice one of the air diffusers on one of my Model 7's to drill more holes in it. As far as I can see, that, and a bit bigger bore in the air cap around the fluid tip is about the only design difference, but the Mach 1 will spray heavy paint at <50psi. Air volume consumption is about the same (11 cfm should do fine).
One of those "round tuit" projects, but if I get to it I will post the results. You may still want a pressure pot for latex, but the cup on the Mach 1 is pressurized already (not siphon). It can be bought as under-cup pressurized or top cup (gravity feed, not pressurized). I prefer the 2 quart belt-clip pressure pot over the cup just because it is easier to rotate the gun any direction and the cup doesn't get in the way in confines spaces.

Go

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Fine Woodworking did a review of HVLP spray gear within the last year or so. I might even be worth paying for a copy from their website (cost would be low relative to the gun cost).

I like my Wagner HVLP conversion gun but FWW did not. I found it hard to find a good setting but once I did, I get good results. I have a little compressor, however, which the Wagner will work with but not all guns will. With a bigger compressor, the settings are probably not as critical and you could spray a bigger pattern. I got my Wagner from Gleam Paint. It was about $125. That is with one needle set. If you add a few extra needles (which I have not done yet) and extras you could easily spend $200 or more.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well, no expert here, but I'm pretty happy with my Earlex HVLP. It doesn't spray latex very well, but water-based poly came out great. I just did a drawer with shellac and considering my technique (or rather the lack thereof), the result was outstanding. Is it better/ worse than other guns? I don't know, this is my first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS