PSA: Underground propane lines in Wake County

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I learned last week that there are very few restrictions on the placement of residential underground propane lines.

Which makes the one at my house buried a measly 6" under the surface :eek: legal. The one buried 6" with no mechanical protection over the copper line.

Be careful out there.

-Mark

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I had the misfortune to have an abandoned 1000 gallon underground propane tank and burried copper lines on my property in NY State (this was almost 40 years ago). The neighbor's kids found the access cover to the tank and managed to damage the main valve, causing a leak that required the evacuation of the 4 homes on the street. It took the fire company 6 hours to locate the owner of the tank (Suburban Propane) and get them there to do someting to stop the leak, and then 2 days more to get them to remove the tank which still contained over 500 gallons of propane. The tank had originally provided metered gas service to the 4 homes, but had been turned off and abandoned for over 20 years before the kids found it. No one living on the street at that time knew it even existed. It was a time bomb just waiting for the right conditions to cause a fire or explosion. Fortunately there was no fire or explosion from it, but I have a strong aversion to propane to this day.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS